Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #1 
SashimiBetta

Should I replace my gravel?

This morning at exactly 7:52 my 5 year old Goldfish died. && Today I was planning to go out and buy my Bettas a 10g tank..But my goldfish was in a 10g tank. And since he passed I thought about saving 40$ and just use his old tank. Obviously, I am going to clean the tank..But I was wondering..Should I change the gravel? Or just leave it...
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
SnowySurface

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Since it seems like he died of old age instead of from an illness, I would just reuse the same tank and gravel after cleaning. If your fish didn't have something contagious, there is nothing for the new fish to catch. I've definitely reused the same tank and gravel after losing a fish without any problems. All I used was hot water and a lot of repeat rinsing.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #3 
TonyK

I would be on the safe side and change the gravel. Gravel for a 10 gallon is pretty and why take the chance. Goldfish can live a pretty long time. I had a friend that had a feeder goldfish for over 10 years.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

I would deffinatly re-use the tank and just clean it.How old was the gravel if you have had the same gravel for 5 years then I would just replace it since gravel is not that expensive.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Id replace it, you need like two 5-lb bags to fill it with about 1-2 inches of gravel, which should be under $10-15 :)

Or you can try sand, which you can get at hardware stores (play sand, cleaned) works best and is like $5-10 for 30-50lbs! XD
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote