Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #1 
Cey

Failed to leave pet store without a betta

So much for going in "for just one thing"

I actually HAD been planning to get a new betta, I have room for one, but I had already reviewed the current stock at both Petco's and both Petsmart's within reasonable driving distance of me, and had decided I didn't want any of them. (They all just got restocked a couple days ago on Friday.) Including this guy.

There was one black and red betta that I kept checking in on every time I went in the store, and I thought I might get him tonight, but -- no, ended up leaving with this guy somehow, instead.

It looks like he might be an HM x CT hybrid now that I look closer? His fins extend past the edge in rays like a crowntail's, just slightly.

The coloring, especially the turquoise, reminds me of a lot of my Cherokee grandmother's things. Kind of like an Indian painting or painted feathers.

I think despite him giving me such a Native American-esque feel, I will continue with my Renaissance and Greek/Roman naming theme and call him Socrates. So that will give me Galileo, Aristotle, and Socrates.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cey; 01-25-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Cey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #2 
BettaBoy51

Nice!
BettaBoy51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #3 
BlueSky99

Wow, he's really pretty, and he has such interesting coloring.
BlueSky99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #4 
Greenapp1es

Lovely boy you got! I'm jealous!

And actually....that boy looks like a Double tail to me. It looks like he has two lobes on his caudal, but even if he doesn't he's at least a carrier by the length of his dorsal fin.

Last edited by Greenapp1es; 01-25-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #5 
AmaV

He is really pretty! I love his coloring~
AmaV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #6 
Cey

I thought his coloring was pretty interesting too! I passed him up originally because I was bent on this certain kind of betta I had seen, but I spent half an hour staring at this guy, and decided he might as well go home with me. Oops!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #7 
Cey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapp1es View Post
Lovely boy you got! I'm jealous!

And actually....that boy looks like a Double tail to me. It looks like he has two lobes on his caudal, but even if he doesn't he's at least a carrier by the length of his dorsal fin.

He was actually labeled as a double tail, but I assumed they had actually mis-labeled a halfmoon double tail, until I saw what looked like the CT genes mixed in and had seen someone mention that these weren't considered halfmoons but... uh, halfsuns? I don't even know. I doubt Petco even knows what that is, especially. But he has the full finnage of a DT HM, which is why I thought he was a HM x CT hybrid and forgot to mention the DT part. My bad!

I'm babysitting tonight, and the kids are decidedly hyper, and I already have a tendency to accidentally leave words out of my sentences.

Last edited by Cey; 01-25-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #8 
Greenapp1es

Haha, just be aware that he may marble. He's a guy that I'd be seriously bummed if he *did* - but be aware that it could happen.
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

There is no immediate CT in his genes at the moment though up the pike his line may have been crossed somewhere with a CT but definitely not in the last generation or two from what I can tell of it.

Halfsun's have to be full HMs, not DT, so because of that he'd just be a DTHM. Or Fullsun if you like, that's a DT with an HM spread.

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 01-25-2015 at 09:05 PM.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #10 
Cey

I'd be super bummed if this one marbled, less so the cloudy sky one. This guy, I really like the way his color and patterning is set. We'll see! *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll try and get some better pics once he's settled in and I'm no longer babysitting! He's got a really interesting flare pattern too, it's transparent with symmetrical spots.