Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #1871 
Tisia

it's because of the stringy weird ventrals. they give weird things fancy names and try to pawn it off as something worth way more than it is
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #1872 
Pitluvs

My fish look like that.. when I put something in the tank that shreds their fins LOL
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #1873 
purplemuffin

The price is worth it if people will buy it. If a breeder were to get a new genetic 'quirk' that can be bred successfully, it can be a new line. I'm sure halfmoons used to be worth more--Heck, giants have gone down a LOT in price even since I got into bettas.

Right now--one person has these crazy ventral bettas. Those fish can each have hundreds of babies. The fish are unique and interesting(I sort of like the look, it's interesting) and people will pay more--The average pet owner or even breeder won't pay THAT much--but someone looking to invest WILL. And when he buys those fish, he is essentially buying the right to be one of TWO people now who own fish with those unique fins. Let's say he breeds them to several females each and ends up with several hundred bettas with this unique fin. He could sell the babies for as low as 100 each and make quite a bit of profit. In fact, he wouldn't even have to sell them that low at first in all likely hood. A lot of the big breeders would want to invest(maybe not 1000 dollars, but they could throw in a couple hundred maybe) and would purchase pairs of this new betta genetic 'cool' thing.

The first people who own something new will be able to buy and sell them for the most. The first pastel ball pythons were 20,000 dollars, now you can find them for 50 dollars. Because everyone has them.

If people invest in these fish and they breed true and cause no problems, you will see them appear more often and get cheaper and cheaper. Eventually it will just be a different kind of betta. We have 'salamander butterfly halfmoons', this could be a normal thing to see a "mustard gas alien plakat" or something like that.

If it breeds true. There's the risk. These fish could just have been born weird. But they could be able to breed and continue the line with more fish like this. And people will pay to have the next new thing--and who knows how much selective breeding could change or improve the look of these. I've seen some of the first halfmoons and double tails, they weren't anything like what we see now. Who knows what we'll see years down the line.

Just explaining the price. The reason it's 1000 dollars is...you aren't paying for 'a fish', you're paying for a huge investment. O_O Which could pay off. Or could dud out. A pretty big gamble with a pretty big pay off. Not to mention--the chance of being in the betta fish history books!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #1874 
copperarabian

This guy is up on chards page, he's a gorgeous fish!
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1327386128
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #1875 
GreenTea

Hey all, something wonderful happened to me! Remember this guy, who sold for 100+ a few weeks ago?

I get him now! It happened because I bought this marble female from profish..

And had my eye on these two males..

But I didn't know if I wanted to pay the full "Buy Now" price along with shipping, so I asked him if there was any discount for buying 3 fish, and he said yes. He then sent me a photo of the first male, and asked if I wanted him as well. I said yes! Of course! The winning bidder never contacted him.

He said he'd add two more females as well since I'm getting 3 males, and that he'd give me 2 free females each time I buy one of his fish from now on. I feel really lucky and really happy. We talked for hours, he's a really nice guy. We agreed on 140 for all 6 fish, so $23 a fish. Pretty fantastic if you ask me! This came at the perfect time, earlier that day I lost my entire spawn and felt like giving up. Just wanted to share. Betta people are great people!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #1876 
purplemuffin

That's great, Greentea!!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #1877 
copperarabian

oooo I want
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #1878 
PixelatedPaint

PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #1879 
Rjb5584

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
oooo I want
Hey! This guy looks exactly like my Chex (minus the crazy dorsal fin)!
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #1880 
Pitluvs

Greentea. I'm totally getting you to help me if I ever go with AB fish LOL
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this