Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 AM   #3291 
Butterfly

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sct&1357495204 i LOVE that coloring.
oh christmas betta...
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1357272605 http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1357362602 /drool coloring.

I think I really want a gorgeous orange ct male now...and a HMPK dumbo, not sure what coloring. And one of those red/green platinum HM.
And I would want a clone of that gorgeous 'dot' (orange/transparent) on the first page.
~dreamdreamdream~
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #3292 
aemaki09

OOh that last one is gorgeous!
The breeder of all those 3 is a pretty good breeder, just not the best photographer lol, all the fish I've ordered and recieved from him have arrived so much more gorgeous than his pictures showed off.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #3293 
ravenwinds

Same here...chard is great! He won "best of show" and "best new breeder" this last spring w/IBC ....a few different lines of his....and he is also a member here using same name as aquabid!

Kind of funny...about 1 mos ago, a couple of breeders from Thailand had some gorgeous bi and tri color CTs ....one was a yellow w/orange and red markings; I named him Ember and I bought a sister as well...another one was blue w/light blue marbling and orange/yellow fins; named him Sunset because he reminded me of the sun setting over the ocean off the coast of Hawaii :)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #3294 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He's very unique :). Have you ever bought a Thai bred betta and tried to keep them in American hard water? I haven't I just wonder if you have had success with it because I've seen some cases that didn't seem to work well
Well, no, I've never imported. But according to what I've been told several times, Petco bettas are from Thailand. If they count, then my fish have been doing pretty well =]!!
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #3295 
callistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
I would so buy him off he were an HM...and if I hadn't already purchased about 8 Thai bettas in last 2 mos!!

Callistra: I currently have about 25 adult bettas and most are from Thailand! I have had no difficulty keeping them on my Oregon well water, which is, thankfully, free of contaminants and heavy metals, but is about medium hardness...nothing like hard water in Moscow, Idaho...but still fairly full of calcium! I count my family lucky because we don't have to drink(or bathe in) fluoridated POOL water like our nearest city residents have to, but I still have to use a pumice stone on my toilets on a regular basis.
Anyway, I have no problems acclimating my Thai bettas to the water...although 1: almost all my tanks are NPTs with a light spreading of peat which would make them a touch softe(keep in mind that I have plenty of breeding males that live in 1-3 homes that are bare bottom), and 2: I have not attempted to keep CTs which I understand live much better in softer water.
Sweet, I wish I lived in Oregon.. the water here is so hard (9-11 ph!) I have to use treated RO for them and it's not easy trying to buffer kh and bring gh up to a liveable levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
Well, no, I've never imported. But according to what I've been told several times, Petco bettas are from Thailand. If they count, then my fish have been doing pretty well =]!!
That's cool I didn't know petco imported their bettas. I figured they came from Florida.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #3296 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Why dont we have fish like this in the US? .
We do. Go over to the breeders threads. Check the classifieds. There are over a dozen top-quality breeders who are members of this forum. Look around. Find out who they are. Buy local. Check e-bay for more domestic fish.

I won't buy from AB ever again.

The fish is a nice-looking red dragon. High-quality pet fish. Not show-quality.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-31-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #3297 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
We do. Go over to the breeders threads. Check the classifieds. There are over a dozen top-quality breeders who are members of this forum. Look around. Find out who they are. By local. Check e-bay for more domestic fish.

I look at the US breeders on here, AB, and eBay, and very rarely if ever see a nice fancy of any tail like most of the imports are. I do see nice fish, just not fancy's very often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #3298 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
We do. Go over to the breeders threads. Check the classifieds. There are over a dozen top-quality breeders who are members of this forum. Look around. Find out who they are. By local. Check e-bay for more domestic fish.

I look at the US breeders on here, AB, and eBay, all the time and very rarely if ever see a nice fancy of any tail like most of the imports are. I do see nice fish, just not fancy's very often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3299 
ravenwinds

When I started collecting bettas a couple yrs ago, I didn't want just pet store fish. I looked on internet and the first 10 US breeders' websites I came to said they weren't currently breeding and had no stock available. It was extremely discouraging!
Then I found this forum and learned about aquabid.

I agree and disagree with Hallyx: you can buy some amazing fish from US breeders, but when you are first making that jump from pet store to a breeder, many of the amazing "show quality" bettas are not open to you....even when you are both members of this forum, the "show" quality bettas a breeder has available, have already been sold.

And yes, many of the bettas on aquabid are not "show" quality (including those from US breeders). Many have flaws, but so are ones being sold by US breeders here! You just have to really observe the bettas and choose the least flawed ones. Let's face it: if the fish is not deformed and has only a few flaws, and is coming from the breeder's show lines, you're getting a good fish! After all, no breeder is gonna sell the perfect bettas...they are going to keep them to breed!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #3300 
rosy delta

Ravenwinds, can you explain the use of peat?? You mean regular peat moss like you get at gardening stores? my water is also about 200 in the hardness scale (or at least that's how is seems) and my tanks tend to get calcium deposits on them. the fish all do ok in it, even my crowntail, but if i could soften it a little i would love to.
thanks!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this