betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #3481 
shawnee

that first one is kool
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #3482 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The dilemma of not having a tank cycled when you want to buy stock is easily solved.

Buy your pretty fish. Add him to his permanent home and do appropriate water changes. Fishless cycle a filter and some additional media in a bucket or spare tank. When it's cycled, transfer the filter to your display tank.

Easy. And you'll never have to let another one get away because of not having a cycled tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #3483 
LittleBettaFish

Except in Australia 'pure' ammonia is next to impossible to find. Only place I have seen it charges a pretty steep price for a bottle because it was 'specially' designed for fishless cycling.

When I mentioned fishless cycling on a Australian betta forum it was like I was speaking in a foreign language. I think members from the planted forum have a better grasp of what it is.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #3484 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah but people have done fishless cycles using fish food or shrimp... Takes longer but it does work.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #3485 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
The dilemma of not having a tank cycled when you want to buy stock is easily solved.

Buy your pretty fish. Add him to his permanent home and do appropriate water changes. Fishless cycle a filter and some additional media in a bucket or spare tank. When it's cycled, transfer the filter to your display tank.

Easy. And you'll never have to let another one get away because of not having a cycled tank.
I feel rather stupid for not thinking of that! Thank you for that advice. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Except in Australia 'pure' ammonia is next to impossible to find. Only place I have seen it charges a pretty steep price for a bottle because it was 'specially' designed for fishless cycling.

When I mentioned fishless cycling on a Australian betta forum it was like I was speaking in a foreign language. I think members from the planted forum have a better grasp of what it is.
Yeah, I had a look around for some pure ammonia with little to no success. I found some on eBay from an Aussie seller, but I'm not sure how reliable that'd be for actually being pure ammonia... Though I am tempted.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #3486 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In my experience, cycling with fishfood or shrimp does not take any longer than with pure ammonia. It's just a smelly, nasty mess which can also promote a Saprolegnia mold infestation.

When cycling, what takes the longest is waiting for the nitrifying bacteria to fall out of the sky into your tank. Whatever you use to provide ammonia takes about the same amount of time if you're working in the range of 2.0 to 4.0 ppm, as is usually advised..

Using the right bacteria in a bottle can cut your cycling time in half, if you're lucky. But not much more than that. Nor is there any advantage to quickening your cycle that I can see.

Once you cycle a tank/filter, you'll always have live bacteria to seed further tanks. You won't need ammonia after that unless you plan to grow a large colony for heavy-stocking purposes, more than a typical Betta environment.

Sorry this got onto the AB thread, but it might be useful.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #3487 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I do that with my goldfish tank haha. It is the mother of all seeded filter media as I have four large power filters running.

We do have a couple of Aussie brand bacteria supplements I have been keen to test out, but only other one we can really get here are Stability (did not work at all for me) and a couple of the cheaper definitely don't work ones.

To keep it AB related, here is a nice female I would snatch up if I had the money

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1359896239
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #3488 
lilchiwolf

Get ready for pretty boys!!!

lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #3489 
aemaki09

I almost dont believe that this is real.
Link below.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1359733189
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #3490 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post

I almost dont believe that this is real.
Link below.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1359733189
Lol, well the seller has nothing but positive feedback. Never heard of an "alien" Betta myself, though.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this