Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #3681 
popcorndeer

i found a halfmoon male betta on there and the biding ends in 1hour and he not that much money i relly want him but my mom wont buy a fish in the mail because she thinks it will die on the way what shoud i do?
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #3682 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Just bid on this cutie for my grandma. She has this blue room where she does al of her paperwork and bills. He's going in there. He'll be hers, but I'll be taking care of him. xD

I MAY have mentioned that I'll breed him. :P
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #3683 
Signature Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorndeer View Post
i found a halfmoon male betta on there and the biding ends in 1hour and he not that much money i relly want him but my mom wont buy a fish in the mail because she thinks it will die on the way what shoud i do?
He might not be that much, but remember shipping is additional $30 to $50 dollars. So a $10 fish ends up being a $40 or $60 fish.
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #3684 
ravenwinds

Couple of pages ago, there was a question regarding a black dragon (black w/silverish scales)....definitely an HMPK...the PK stands for plakat which translates to short finned bettas in the current world :). An HM would have long fins shaped to halfmoon.

Popcorndeer: not a lot you can do if she holds the strings to the money bags...or the debit/credit card information!
But, tell her this: thousands of fish shipped through mail worldwide with very few casualties...probably less risk than driiving a car in a populated area! I (and most users on aquabid and here) have gotten fish through mail (even just regular priority) without even one death...
I always get fish Express Mail to shorten the travel duration but its not necessary. Bettas are extremely resilient fish that take well to travel....after all: even Petco or Petsmart or wally world fish come through the mail for part of their journey and some travel in even worse conditions AND most make it to the store (usually, they die of bad conditions at store)!
So, I'd hold out your store bought fish to her and say: "he came on planes, trucks, in boxes, packed in a totally sealed triangle of plastic with about an ounce of fluid...and he made it safe to us! Let's buy our next one straight from the breeder so he gets to us quicker and in better health and conditions!"
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #3685 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
Couple of pages ago, there was a question regarding a black dragon (black w/silverish scales)....definitely an HMPK...the PK stands for plakat which translates to short finned bettas in the current world :). An HM would have long fins shaped to halfmoon.

Popcorndeer: not a lot you can do if she holds the strings to the money bags...or the debit/credit card information!
But, tell her this: thousands of fish shipped through mail worldwide with very few casualties...probably less risk than driiving a car in a populated area! I (and most users on aquabid and here) have gotten fish through mail (even just regular priority) without even one death...
I always get fish Express Mail to shorten the travel duration but its not necessary. Bettas are extremely resilient fish that take well to travel....after all: even Petco or Petsmart or wally world fish come through the mail for part of their journey and some travel in even worse conditions AND most make it to the store (usually, they die of bad conditions at store)!
So, I'd hold out your store bought fish to her and say: "he came on planes, trucks, in boxes, packed in a totally sealed triangle of plastic with about an ounce of fluid...and he made it safe to us! Let's buy our next one straight from the breeder so he gets to us quicker and in better health and conditions!"
I totally agree with this but I know the bidding already ended on the fish you wanted :/

Tell her that, especially the part about how the fish are shipped to the stores. Also, if you order from a private breeder on AB, the fish will probably already be healthier than the fish the stores ship in.

I ordered my first three females online and all arrived fine. They were even in the mail for an extra day because my mom neglected to tell me that USPS left a notice at the door until AFTER the post office closed so they sat in the post office overnight after they were in the mail for three days. Just make sure if you are ordering overseas that you know how transhipping works and how much all the shipping will really cost you. You'll have to convince your mom first, though, but I'm sure you'll find plenty more gems on AB.

Edit: also, most AB sellers have a "dead on arrival" replacement guarantee but TBH, I haven't really heard of that happening often. Most bettas survive shipping. The important part is what you do after you receive them. I didn't know this when I got my fish, but you are supposed to keep the room dark when you unpack them because suddenly exposing them to light can shock them. You should acclimate them slowly to your water because the water they were in before is usually a lot different.

I have to admit, I'm still not 100% sure how a transhipper works because I've never went through one (yet, lol) but I think I have an idea.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 02-21-2013 at 07:22 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #3686 
Hadoken Kitty

It's really simple. All of the Thai sellers ship their fish out to various transshippers on a specific date. The transshipper recieves everyone's fish, then distributes them accordingly to each person.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #3687 
AyalaCookiejar

How much does shipping from the transhipper cost? I know it usually costs $5 to ship TO the transhipper.

I've heard good things about Linda Olsen and she's one state away from me.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #3688 
Hadoken Kitty

It was $24.20 for one fish. I just paid about $40.00 for four fish in one box.

Two fish will probably cost me about $34.00-ish (that's my next shipment).
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #3689 
aemaki09

2 fish is about 29 from linda. I have an e-mail stating her fees per fish if you would like me to send it to you.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #3690 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
2 fish is about 29 from linda. I have an e-mail stating her fees per fish if you would like me to send it to you.
Could you do that for me as well? She never got a chance to send me one. Lol.

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this