Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #4531 
crowntaillove3

His fins look kind of ripped up at the ends, but HIS COLORS ARE AMAZING!!!!!

Name:  fwbettashm1367084163.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  43.5 KB
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #4532 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
His fins look kind of ripped up at the ends, but HIS COLORS ARE AMAZING!!!!!

Attachment 108417
they're not ripped, they're just folded over themselves as is common for rosetails.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #4533 
Catw0man

What makes these fish so special?

Ok, I have a couple of turquoise dragons.....that look pretty much the same as these....why are people bidding $80 and $100 on these fish by ProFishFarms?? What am I missing?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1367592828
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1367592885
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1367592754
Attached Images

Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #4534 
Chard56

I don't think you are missing a thing. It looks like they are trying to boost their sales on other Bettas by pricing these up. I have bought many of my breeder males by waiting and watching what comes in to various petstores. Mismarked Halfmoons as Deltas I'll buy if they are good looking enough and I think they'll improve a line I have or maybe need the color they have. All three of those males I wouldn't buy if they were $2.99. I'm not sure what I would do with them even if they were free. Torn finnage, horrible bumpy topline and especially the bottom one, Rosetail. What are they thinking?
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #4535 
homegrown terror

part of it is brand-naming: profish farms is one of the most highly regarded breeders, so they can charge more just due to the name attached to the fish, and breeders will pay for it so they can say their lines have the farm in their lineage.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #4536 
Chard56

Why would any breeder want to buy deformed culls to add to their own lines for the name just to mess up what they already have. That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #4537 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard56 View Post
I don't think you are missing a thing. It looks like they are trying to boost their sales on other Bettas by pricing these up. I have bought many of my breeder males by waiting and watching what comes in to various petstores. Mismarked Halfmoons as Deltas I'll buy if they are good looking enough and I think they'll improve a line I have or maybe need the color they have. All three of those males I wouldn't buy if they were $2.99. I'm not sure what I would do with them even if they were free. Torn finnage, horrible bumpy topline and especially the bottom one, Rosetail. What are they thinking?
Thanks! I was questioning my sanity there.....
I think the opening bid was about $25 to $30.....I just can't get why there are a couple of bidders having a bidding war over these 3 fish...lol
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #4538 
percyfyshshelley

I was wondering the exact same thing last night. Thought maybe I was missing something because I am new at this.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #4539 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard56 View Post
Why would any breeder want to buy deformed culls to add to their own lines for the name just to mess up what they already have. That doesn't make sense to me.
the same reason people will pay $5 for name brand tylenol produced in the same factory, on the same assembly line, as the store brand acetominophen that's $3. because a lot of people out there are shallow, and they consider anything not name brand to be inferior.

it's the same concept as the home-products producers who put "baby-safe" on their products and charge more, even though the products that don't say "baby-safe" are still perfectly fine. paranoid parents get tricked by this stuff every day.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #4540 
Chard56

I could understand that about someone new to breeding but not experienced professionals. It just doesn't make sense that profish would offer those in the first place let alone someone wanting to buy them for that much. Established breeder with a good reputation or not I think something funny's going on.

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this