Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #6631 
aemaki09

Shannon, out of my 30 or so imports, I've had 3 die before they should have. So don't worry too much! The guy posting it is just trying to make a sale.
It's a myth that imported fish wont do as well in the US, but I personally think that theres very little truth behind it. A lot of american bred, bought, shipped fish die earlier than they should to for unknown causes and so it kind of takes away from that.

Anyways, Heres my list!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sdt&1374508203

An american one!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1374172801

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1374263573

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1374328200
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #6632 
shannonpwns

Thank you guys for the reassurance! I don't even know my fish yet, but I've been stressed and on the verge of tears just thinking about her lol.

Wow that purple marble butterfly HM is gorgeous!
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #6633 
DoctorWhoLuver

I was really worried at first too, but they seem to be doing well. One even jumped out of his tank and he was perfectly fine the next day. I recently bred my imported pair twice and the fry never made it to the free swimming stage both times (not sure why, though the female is only 3.5 months old.. maybe she's too young?) . My mom made up a crazy theory about the Thailand breeders drugging their fish so that they couldn't reproduce. lol x]
But this guy is really black.
Attached Images

DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #6634 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
I was really worried at first too, but they seem to be doing well. One even jumped out of his tank and he was perfectly fine the next day. I recently bred my imported pair twice and the fry never made it to the free swimming stage both times (not sure why, though the female is only 3.5 months old.. maybe she's too young?) . My mom made up a crazy theory about the Thailand breeders drugging their fish so that they couldn't reproduce. lol x]
But this guy is really black.
I'd name him Ink!
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #6635 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Shannon, there are plenty of people on here who have imports who've been doing fine for a long time--ask Catwoman, for example. That guy is just trying to sell his own fish, and I would not worry about it.
Yup, I can safely say (after importing over 100 fishies), that very few have died....like maybe 4. All the rest are still alive and well....and seemed to have no difficulties adjusting to my well water! lol....and it tends to be VERY hard water! I still treat their water with water conditioner even though I have no chlorine in my well water....and I add a dash of aquarium salt and a squirt of Tetra Blackwater Extract (to a 4L jug I use for water changes).

Also, something interesting to consider is that imports who are raised in outdoor facilities are supposedly more tolerant to temperature fluctuations than fish-room raised domestics. I read that in "The Betta Handbook" published by Barron's. Here's a quote: "Every fish adapts to upper and lower temperatures during the early larval stage, a capability it loses as it grows older. If young fry are held at a narrow temperature, they will be unable to survive...fluctuating temperatures later in life. If they are exposed to widely fluctuating temperatures in the first days, they develop tolerance for wide temperature ranges into adulthood."

I'm not a breeder, so I can't speak to the relative truth of this, but it was very interesting to me as I believe many breeders in the U.S. and Canada try to ensure that their fry stay in consistent temperatures....which, according to this source, may actually make them more "delicate" as adult fish.

Last edited by Catw0man; 07-17-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #6636 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hmm... So I didn't have to spend 2 1/2 hours acclimating them to my water after all? Lol.

DWL- that betta is most likley a very nice, solid super black but not as black as it appears in the pic... Black is one of the hardest, if not the hardest (Aquastar said it himself) betta colours to photograph so it can be misrepresented easily.

Catw0man, I'm trying to wrap my head around that theory... Now, I'm no expert (yet ), so keep that in mind... On one hand, they fry are not done developing a lot of things in the first few days after they hatch, so lots of adaptions could potentially happen in that timespan, but on the other hand, they big outdoor tubs they use would probably hold the temp fairly stable anyways and bettas (all species, really) are genetically designed to function properly in a certain range of temperatures, and that range would be present from conception... I'm going to stick with not fiddling with the heater in the fry tanks for now lol.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 07-18-2013 at 01:35 AM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #6637 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Hmm... So I didn't have to spend 2 1/2 hours acclimating them to my water after all? Lol.

DWL- that betta is most likley a very nice, solid super black but not as black as it appears in the pic... Black is one of the hardest, if not the hardest (Aquastar said it himself) betta colours to photograph so it can be misrepresented easily.

Catw0man, I'm trying to wrap my head around that theory... Now, I'm no expert (yet ), so keep that in mind... On one hand, they fry are not done developing a lot of things in the first few days after they hatch, so lots of adaptions could potentially happen in that timespan, but on the other hand, they big outdoor tubs they use would probably hold the temp fairly stable anyways and bettas (all species, really) are genetically designed to function properly in a certain range of temperatures, and that range would be present from conception... I'm going to stick with not fiddling with the heater in the fry tanks for now lol.
No, you probably didn't need to acclimate them for 2.5 hours...lol....anyway, no harm done...lol.

Yes, I was a bit surprised to read that in my book as well....don't know that breeders should go about turning the temp up and down in their fish rooms or tanks because of it....lol. In the book, they say that the temperatures in the wild, for example, generally vary from about 70 to 90 degrees....and "if you want your fry to have a wide temperature tolerance, grow them without heaters and allow normal room temperature fluctuations in their tanks."

It's interesting anyway...
Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #6638 
Saber

LOVE this thread! I was wondering though, is it just me or did the CT section on Aquabid shrink over the past year or so? I used to surf that site quite a lot and remember seeing a lot more gorgeous CTs...Now, hardly any.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #6639 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
LOVE this thread! I was wondering though, is it just me or did the CT section on Aquabid shrink over the past year or so? I used to surf that site quite a lot and remember seeing a lot more gorgeous CTs...Now, hardly any.
I wasn't on Aquabid until a few months ago, but the CT section is certainly small.....we're lucky if there are 2 pages! I'm assuming the availability of CTs in local pet stores has increased and so buyers are less likely to pay extra (shipping, transhipper fees) to buy a CT online.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #6640 
Fenghuang

I'm loving this koi girl. Same seller as my koi boy too.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1374585165

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this