Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #6791 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I've been to Canada twice. They never actually searched our vehicles. We were asked if we had fruit on us lol. But not about fish.

+1! I go to Canada practically every summer for fishing trips and they never worry about searching the vehicle. As long as you act normal they won't worry about searching your car. Well, they do have random inspections they have to do as well, but it's nothing major and definitely not as bad as going in/out of Mexico lol
Plus since it's just fish, I highly doubt they'd confiscate them even if it really isn't "legal" it's fish, nothing major lol I'm sure they'd understand.

Anyways, I want these guys sooo badly!! My female guitar smaragdina jumped and now my male is mateless. These guys aren't guitar, but they are close and a pair so it'd work. If only I had the money. This really sucks!! -I know setsuna has them, but they cost about as much as importing...

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tas&1375353260

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1375015802

OMG this girl would be perfect for "POPCORN!"

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1375385955
this is popcorn for those who don't remember \/

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1375008599

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1375199912

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1375374005
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #6792 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Uggg, i saw that "Popcorn" girl and was like, I NEEEEEDDDD! And then I remembered I have fish coming to me soon......sigh.

All these marbles and koi's popping up are just so awesome to look at! I wish I could have at least one in my sorority lol

And good to know aemaki! Yeah, I really don't plan on bringing any souveniers back or anything so I don't have to claim anything and we'll be in less than 48 hours so practically duty-free I believe if I read things right. So that's fine by me! I'm so excited *starts to sing* and I just can't hide it and I know, I know--oh....I'll stop now haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #6793 
nmaybyte

I don't see how you guys win any bids on Aquabid. I searched for a betta that I liked and I found one. I watched diligently as the auction slowly inched its way to closure. Finally with 12 hours left I bid on him. I thought he was unique and I bid thinking, "This little guy isn't amazing or anything so he definitely won't get much attention". No sooner had I bid than someone came and outbid him. Now, this wouldn't have been too big of an issue if it wasn't for the fact that this is the 4th time this scenario has played out. In conclusion, I guess either I just have the worst luck in auction history or I'm just a crybaby. ;)

Tl;DR:

I found a unique but not pretty betta I wanted. I watched the auction, bid and someone outbid me in like a minute. Now I'm sour and wondering how people win and how much they pay.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #6794 
CritterNut

I always go back to the auction right when it's about to end. If the fish is worth it to you, increase your max bid so that anyone that tries to outbid you can't unless they bid a really high amount.
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #6795 
nmaybyte

Quote:
If the fish is worth it to you, increase your max bid so that anyone that tries to outbid you can't unless they bid a really high amount.
I agree, in part, with this. But I have to ask the question; How high is a really high amount? When considering the fact that you have to take in shipping, a fish can become expensive ridiculously fast. You can generally assume and expect to spend anywhere from 15 to 45 dollars on shipping. So, if you have a fish that is , say, 25 dollars, you're spending at least 40 IF you win. That's on one fish. Granted, some of the guys that you'll be showing and breeding for show, I would say that is cheap. But for a guy that you're going to put in a tank to look at, talk to, and generally care for, I think that's ridiculous. I spent 70 on 3 bettas and shipping which brings that total to 23.33 dollars per fish, with a disappearing penny. Idk, I just don't see spending more than about 5 dollars on an auction for a non-champion, non-show fish.

Please keep in mind, this is just my opinion for what is worth.

Last edited by nmaybyte; 07-26-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #6796 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaybyte View Post
I don't see how you guys win any bids on Aquabid. I searched for a betta that I liked and I found one. I watched diligently as the auction slowly inched its way to closure. Finally with 12 hours left I bid on him. I thought he was unique and I bid thinking, "This little guy isn't amazing or anything so he definitely won't get much attention". No sooner had I bid than someone came and outbid him. Now, this wouldn't have been too big of an issue if it wasn't for the fact that this is the 4th time this scenario has played out. In conclusion, I guess either I just have the worst luck in auction history or I'm just a crybaby. ;)

Tl;DR:

I found a unique but not pretty betta I wanted. I watched the auction, bid and someone outbid me in like a minute. Now I'm sour and wondering how people win and how much they pay.
This happened to me once but usually the seller has more available of you ask them. They may not look exactly like the ome in the photo but they should have similar ones from the same spawn.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6797 
aemaki09

Quote:

Tl;DR:

Did they all haw bids on them before you bid, or not until after?

I always put my Max bid to around their BIN price. If they aren't something that I really want I'll only bid like $2 more than the start price but if it's something I really really want, $10-$15 is pretty normal for me to do.

It all depends on you and what you feel the Betta is worth.

Oh, and summer time seems to really bad for people to outbid ya last minute. I never had this problem in the fall, winter, or spring, but summer time I have gotten outbid on about 1/3 of my auctions last minute, but none of them were Betta auctions that I can remember
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6798 
Fenghuang

Cool

Quote:
I agree, in part, with this. But I have to ask the question; How high is a really high amount? When considering the fact that you have to take in shipping, a fish can become expensive ridiculously fast. You can generally assume and expect to spend anywhere from 15 to 45 dollars on shipping. So, if you have a fish that is , say, 25 dollars, you're spending at least 40 IF you win. That's on one fish. Granted, some of the guys that you'll be showing and breeding for show, I would say that is cheap. But for a guy that you're going to put in a tank to look at, talk to, and generally care for, I think that's ridiculous. I spent 70 on 3 bettas and shipping which brings that total to 23.33 dollars per fish, with a disappearing penny. Idk, I just don't see spending more than about 5 dollars on an auction for a non-champion, non-show fish.

Please keep in mind, this is just my opinion for what is worth.
There's always BIN (Buy It Now), so if you want a fish badly and don't want to risk losing it or getting into a bidding war, you might decide to just pay the BIN price. Sometimes, it's significantly more than the minimum bid (like double), but other times, I've seen it being just $5 more.

And yeah, Aquabid is not for everyone. Imports can cost $60 plus when you factor in shipping even if you won auction with the starting bid. For me, I can find fish on Aquabid in colours and patterns I have a slim chance of finding around here. No, I don't spend $70 on fish all the time; however, I think it's worth it for a fish that I fall in love with just from a picture and can't stop thinking about.

Mind you, I've spent $15 + $30 in supplies to "rescue" colourless and finless emanicated Petstore fish that I go in knowing might not make it. I don't think it was a waste of time or money, even if they passed on in the end. To each their own, huh?

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-26-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #6799 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
There's always BIN (Buy It Now), so if you want a fish badly and don't want to risk losing it or getting into a bidding war, you might decide to just pay the BIN price. Sometimes, it's significantly more than the minimum bid (like double), but other times, I've seen it being just $5 more.

And yeah, Aquabid is not for everyone. Imports can cost $60 plus when you factor in shipping even if you won auction with the starting bid. For me, I can find fish on Aquabid in colours and patterns I have a slim chance of finding around here. No, I don't spend $70 on fish all the time; however, I think it's worth it for a fish that I fall in love with just from a picture and can't stop thinking about.

Mind you, I've spent $15 + $30 in supplies to "rescue" colourless and finless emanicated Petstore fish that I go in knowing might not make it. I don't think it was a waste of time or money, even if they passed on in the end. To each their own, huh?
Agreed. :D
Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #6800 
Hail0788

Darn you Aquabid! I just placed bids on these two. Fingers crossed!
Attached Images

Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this