Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Sudden illness

Last night I noticed that my fish Gollum's eyes looked funny. I did a google search and it looked like it might be popeye, but by the time I got up this morning, his color on his belly looked grayish, and his eyes are swollen much bigger. I'm very worried because he looked fine two days ago, and now he looks horrible. I tried to take a picture, but my camera isn't good quality, so all I was getting was blurs and he was acting spooked by the camera(that's usual for him). Can anyone give any advice or tell me what's wrong with him?

Housing
What size is your tank?
1.5 gallons

What temperature is your tank?
Usually mid-70s, lately it's been a bit lower (around 70)

Does your tank have a filter?
No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Is your tank heated?
No, there is a light but it doesn't affect the temperature

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Usually flakes, bloodworms every once in a while. I've tried pellets, but he won't eat them.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Usually twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Every 5-7 days

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Conditioner from Betta Plus

Water Parameters:
Forgot to test before changing water, but never had problems with water in the past.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Eyes protruding and cloudy, color slightly faded

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Not spreading tail as much as usual, otherwise acting normal

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About 24 hours ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
added Tetracycline powder after changing tank water and replacing gravel

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No, the only previous health problem was blood on his tail about a month ago, which healed in less than a week

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I've had him for about three months
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #2 
Harley

Well you definitely need a heater for starters. 70F is pretty cool for a betta. You probably should be in the 76-80F range. IMO you'll also need to do 100% water changes every other day. Dirty water increases / promotes health problems. The color change may be from stress. My betta has never had popeye so I don't know much about it but there are anti-bacterial products like Mardel Maracyn and Maracyn II (I can't remember which one is for popeye). I think aquarium salt can also be used but I'm not 100% sure. If so, try that first. I would get in the habit of testing your bettas water. Keep in mind that they're swimming around in their own pee and poop and it affects the water specs / quality. Good luck.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #3 
SillyCone

ok, starting for today, try doing 100% daily water change for the next 10 days, if you can't at least try 50% one day, 100% the other one, since your tank is a bit small you should normally change the water every 2 or 3 days.

Poor water quality can cause illnesses and ammonia poisoning.

And the best treatment that I've heard on the forum is aquarium salt treatment, I usually don't recommend it because I don't know the dosage so I will suggest you to wait others to give you the proper recommendations for it.

As for now, try to check on the fish behaviour and probably you will get one of the experts to give you some more heads-up on your problem.

Also, idk if you know the medicine you are using but this is a good guide:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....l#tetracycline
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #4 
Irishdancer

I do have some aquarium salt, if I could find the dosage, should I use that instead of the tetracycline? The guy at the pet store recommended that I try the medication first and only use the salt if that didn't work after a couple days.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #5 
Veronica

I would wait and take the advice of people here first unless you REALLY trust your pet store guy. They are notorious for giving waaay wrong advice on fish care.
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #6 
SillyCone

You have to check if you can suddenly change the treatment, for example:

if you are using Myxazin , you have to wait 2 days to change the medication AND if you are going to use Protozin or Cuprazin, you have to wait 4 days.

That's just an example, but it's better to check about tetracyclin, try reading your bottle, I have none here. ;C
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #7 
iheartmybettas

The aquarium salt dose is 1tsp per gallon. I would focus on the water changes first though and getting a heater.

Keep us updated on his progress!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #8 
SillyCone

There's 2 types of salt, that's why I don't do the recommendations.

1 of them is really 1tsp per gallon, but the other is 1tsp per 5 gallons.

So you have to be extremely careful not to overdose it. >_>!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #9 
Irishdancer

I've kept the water warmer today, but he seems to be getting worse because he isn't moving around much now. Just a moment ago he was swimming around, but he was darting around like he was scared, and now he's still again.

I've checked the container the tetracycline came in, and it doesn't say how long I need to wait before I give him a different medication. Does anyone happen to know?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

How long and how much of the antibiotic have you been using......

Since I don't use OTC medication due to their harshness on the fish and environment...I use natural methods and the best treatment I have found for popeye is Epsom salt 2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days while in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range...adding tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf is also helpful.....

Pre-mix using a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and the tannins...use this pre-mixed treatment water for the 100% daily water changes....

If you have only been using the antibiotic for 3 days or less I would continue a full course per the directions....if 3 days or longer and the fish has not improved I would switch to the Epsom salt by slow acclimation...(make 25% water changes for several hours with the pre-mixed treatment water until it is 100% treatment water)

Keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote