Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #11 
LucyLoofa

(you can also make your own decorations for cheap. live plants would also be good for both water quality as well as giving him a place to rest and adding live plants to the tank would give you a wonderful opportunity to talk about animal habitats to the children)
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #12 
Luimeril

the females CAN get bloated with eggs. Crowntail females are known for their bigger bellies, and my CT girl used to get really fat, then skinny again, about once a month. :d

if you can get frozen foods(some pet stores sell frozen fish foods.), pick up some Daphina(sp?). i've been told that's a better way to help them poo, than the blanched pea i was taught to use(someone could correct me, if i'm way off base here. :3).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #13 
Silverfang

I would have to caution on the "Betta hammock" another member had a tragic incident that left her poor betta... dead in a very gruesome way. These betta hammocks can have hidden wires, and that is something you really don't want the children to see.
But live plants are a wonderful option, my boy "rests" in his floating plants quite often, and are beneficial to his water besides being nice nap location.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #14 
nowzem

Not only can females be bloated with eggs, MAMMALS ARE NOT THE ONLY CREATURES TO HAVE LIVE YOUNG (um, mammals means we have MAMMARIES). So its not stupid that a seven-year-old thought that, nor would it be stupid for an adult. There are several species of fish that bear live young (mollies,platys, guppies, sharks, etc etc etc).

However, it's most likely that your fish is male and is overfed :) Keep us updated and good luck! I'm glad you found the site!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #15 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I would have to caution on the "Betta hammock" another member had a tragic incident that left her poor betta... dead in a very gruesome way. These betta hammocks can have hidden wires, and that is something you really don't want the children to see.
But live plants are a wonderful option, my boy "rests" in his floating plants quite often, and are beneficial to his water besides being nice nap location.
The store bought ones are bad. But there is a sticky on here in order to learn how to make your own which has worked for many users. The betta logs from the stores though have appeared to be very safe for them.
I hope your fish is doing well! Haven't heard back from you Ms. S.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #16 
turtle10

Mrs. S,

Just wondering, what is your water change schedule? Like, how much water do you change and how often?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #17 
Mrs S Class

Update on Alex

Hi! I did end up removing the undergravel filter thing when I cleaned the tank out really well last week.

Alex is still very bloated. Hasnt been given food since I first posted to you all. Someone mentioned a possible Epsom Salt remedy? Anyone know what that is and what I need to do?

I still cant figure out how to post the pics. When I hit the 'picture' button above to add one- it wants a URL address? No clue what that would be!??

Thanks,
Mrs S Class
Mrs S Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #18 
Mrs S Class

I dont have a schedule. It will be better from now on though! School is almost out and he will be at home for the summer! :)

How often SHOULD I clean it out?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #19 
JKfish

A 2.5 gallon needs a minimum of two 50% and one 100% water changes a week. A gallon needs 100% every other day, and anything less than that will need at least 100% a day (if not more). If you tell us the specifics of your tank size, heating, and Alex's feeding, I could probably help some more.

Bloating can typically be fixed with clean warm water after a few days. If it persists, or if you notice his buoyancy is off, then you should add 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon until he either gets better or you reach 10 days of salt treatment, in which case you should stop using salt.

To post pictures, click the "Go advanced" button. There will be a little paper clip button that you click. A smaller window will pop up allowing you to search through your files and upload a photo at a time. Once they are uploaded, click the little paperclip button again. This time it'll pull down, and you'll see the photo files you have uploaded. Click on them to insert them into your post :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #20 
Mrs S Class

Picture of Alex!

Here he is! And thanks for the cleaning guidelines and the epsom salt idea. Will do that today! :)

And here I thought a fish was the EASIEST classroom pet for first grade (and me!)...Geesh!
Attached Images