Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #11 
Punki

My tank is this-

It uses biological filtration. Would be alittle difficult to get the ice in there. The readings show that its cycled but i dont trust it regardless and do lots of partial water changes to reassure myself. Biological filtration has both positive and negative opinions everywhere i look so im uneasy, That was off-topic sorry XD I think the floating cups of ice are my best option with this tank. Its good to hear its alright, though not good for permanent situations. It may be hot like this most of the summer, hitting 70's at night and 80's in the day (tank temp) so ill definitely keep an eye on it and add ice if needed. Id say around November itll start cooling down enough to switch to a heater and not worry so much. Thanks to you all for the suggestions. :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #12 
scootshoot

I hear ya OP! Both my tanks hit 85 range during the last heat wave and based on weather reports I suspect it to be an issue later this week as well. The good news is Betta are tropical fish and can deal with this sort of condition.

However, if things start to hit the 88++ mark I will no longer let my replacement water sit overnight to reach room temperature, plan on dumping cold freshwater straight from the faucet into the tank (with conditioner of course). 25%ish change this way should drop the tank temperature 5 degrees or so.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #13 
phoenix91

I have this problem too. wrapping cold towels round works but they have to be changed pretty often. I've tried the icecube thing and it didn't make much difference.

i had to put my a/c on which did help a little, at least now my tanks aren't going above 84 anymore.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #14 
Punki

Yeah i put a fan on my bigger tank and a baggy of cold water against my small tank and it stays around 78-83 now thankfully :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote