Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 Inca snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 1 pellet

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I'm going to test it this weekend
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He isn't as red and his fins don't seem as full or pretty
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he isn't very active and he hasn't eaten today. he's been hiding behind his heater or in his cave a lot and not chasing his reflection almost at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? his fins didn't look as nice yesterday, but he really isn't as active today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not yet
How old is your fish (approximately)? i've had him less than a week

Well, I killed my first fish. To be fair, I think he was sick before I got him. I followed all the instructions on this forum for putting my fish in the tank and the set up and everything. I didn't want to take any chances with this fish. He was perfectly fine the first few days. Yesterday I noticed his fins didn't look as pretty and today he just isn't very active. Mainly hiding behind his heater and swimming pretty slowly. He won't eat today either and yesterday he played with a pellet. He kept putting it in his mouth and spitting it back out. Today I had to take him out of his tank and put him in the lil container he came in so I could do I water change. I waited until the tank was back up to 76 before I put him back in. I'm sure that stressed him out, but he was pretty inactive before I did all that. I can't tell if there is a bulge in body down by his tail or not. It's hard to see. I wondered if perhaps I somehow fed him too much and he's constipated. I'm not real sure what could be wrong. I have seen him lay on the gravel a few times which scares me. That's what my last fish did and he died a horrible death. Anybody have any theories or suggestions?
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #2 
newbie32

I've also noticed some stuff that I thought was from the snail. It's like a white=ish clear string of something with dark spots every so often. like a string of christmas lights. the string is the white/clear goo and the lights are the dark spots. what could that stuff be?!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

At 76*, your tank is at the low end of the spectrum. You could try bumping it up a couple of degrees.

The white strings sound like your fish might have parasites. Is it like this?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=69706
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 
newbie32

These are my before and after shots. The first is him in my tank. He looks happy and a beautiful color. His fins look fantastic. The second is a picture from today. He's pale (may be stress from the water change) and his fins are clamping. Or at least, that's what I think fin clamping is. I can't kill another betta. I just can't figure out what the devil is wrong.

He seemed perfectly happy with the temp of the water before. My best guess would be that this isn't temp related, but I know basically nothing about fish and it's just a speculation.

As far as parasites go: no, the picture from the link you showed me doesn't look like what I've got in my tank.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
newbie32

I also forgot to mention that he looked like he had a little bulge on the end of his body by his tail. You can kinda see what I'm talking about in the second picture. You can see the light has highlighted the top while there is some slight shading below...thus...suggesting a bump. Could he just be constipated? I gave him a pellet and then a worm the other day. Too much food at once?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #6 
Canuck Fins

A pellet and a worm is not too much. What many of us do on here is 2-3 pellets twice a day for six days and one fast day a week to help their digestion. Frozen bloodworms are a good treat for once a week; pick frozen over freeze dried because they are healthier.

Turn out the light above his tank and keep an eye on him. If you did a water change yesterday, it shouldn't be problematic yet.

If you've had him less than a week, he might still be settling in. Keep an eye on him. I'm not sure what the stringy stuff is, might be from teh snail as you say, but maybe it's the fish. It can take a while for them to settle in and sometimes a water change can stress them. Let us know how he is in the morning. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #7 
newbie32

Thanks. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit. I'm just paranoid because my last fish died a gruiesome death. I would hate to do it to another fish. He's my work fish, so I won't see him until Monday morning. He'll have all weekend to spend in the peace and quiet. I'll post again Monday to report how he looks.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

Their stomachs aren't that far back, if he was bloated his abdomen up closer to his ventral fins would be swollen. The bump could be a tumor or perhaps an old injury that healed strangely. If you have had two fish with problems in the good conditions you're keeping them in, I might begin to suspect a problem with your source water.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #9 
newbie32

As of this morning, he is far more active than when I started to worry. The nice, peaceful weekend must have helped him. He's alredy eaten a bloodworm and is toying with a pellet. He is getting some of his color back. His fins aren't completely unclamped yet, but they are better than they have been.

Will my betta always get so stressed out during water changes or will he get used to it? When bettas get stressed, isn't that when they pick up diseases. I don't want him to get sick. Poor lil guy.

As far as my water goes, had it tested. All my levels are good except that my water tested as Very Hard. That's ok isn't it? I think I've read other members on here have very hard water and their bettas are just fine. Could there be something in my water that wouldn't show up in a test?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #10 
JKfish

the bump that you see towards his tail is probably just his swim bladder :)

Is he having any issues swimming?

Chances are he's just stressed. If you don't use a siphon to remove water during water changes, you might want to get one. They slowly remove water from the tank, so he'll barely notice, and you can even slowly siphon clean water into the tank to keep the stress to a minimum.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote