Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #1 
SashimiBetta

Arrow Could Our Pet Stores Be Tricking Us?

Today I went to PetCo, and for the first time ever..I noticed that they had a price chart:

Veil Tails - 3$
Deltas - 5$
Super Deltas - 7$
Half Moons - 9-10$

I was shocked, I had no idea they had a price chart for different tail types. I just thought they were all $3.49 But I guess I should look at the receipt more often. Haha.

But, back to what I was saying:That People always comment on how they label their Betta fish wrong. Like, their Veil Tails were labeled Delta...Could they be scamming us? Do they do it on purpose to make us pay more?

This just came to my mind - No wonder when I point out that the labels are wrong they get upset. Hahaha!
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 
Tisia

it's probably more likely that somehow labels got mixed up or something, and the pet store people don't know any better and just went with it. I know some people have mentioned getting fish that were actually marked as the cheaper tail types as well (like deltas marked as vt)
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #3 
kathstew

It might be mislabeled, pet store employees may not know the difference between the bettas.
Members here have also mentioned switching the labels around, so they get a cheaper deal on their betta. Like taking a veiltail label and putting it on a halfmoon. With all the swapping, it would be likely you end up picking a betta with the wrong lid. :P
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #4 
Creat

The fish are sent pre laybled and arent changed by managers or employees unless its very obvious however I have gotten into many arguments with petco about this. I have argued about HMs that were really delta's and bought plakat males at veiltail female prices and once I got really mad about how they were charging me 32$ for a king HM betta who wasnt a HM needless to say when they wouldnt lower the price i didnt buy the fish.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #5 
SashimiBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
It might be mislabeled, pet store employees may not know the difference between the bettas.
Members here have also mentioned switching the labels around, so they get a cheaper deal on their betta. Like taking a veiltail label and putting it on a halfmoon. With all the swapping, it would be likely you end up picking a betta with the wrong lid. :P
Switching like that is wrong.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

But isn't it also wrong to let the poor thing be stuck in a cup? I'd rather switch lids then to leave 'em there.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiBetta View Post
Switching like that is wrong.
If theyre gonna leave their fish in awful conditions, they deserve the $2 less, hah.

Huge stores like Petsmarts and petcos wont notice anyway. Smaller stores like LFS and whatnot probably can tell the difference or will take the time to check.

They make millions off of being lazy and caring badly for their fish stock (generally)...a few people switching the lids aint so bad, bwahah.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #8 
iheartmybettas

I only switch the lids at walmart like to get a CT for the price of a VT since they are usually in rough shape. At petco and petsmart I just pay for what it really is.

I don't think petco mislabels on purpose. I bet other people are switching the lids.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #9 
Luimeril

the only time i've switches lids. was with King Steve. x: then again, the betta who's lid i took, was long-dead and fuzzy, so.... >.>; it's not like someone got an over-priced Veil. xD

as for wrongly-labeled bettas, that's happened to me once. :3 with Ichi! he was supposed to be a veil, but turned out to be a beautiful Delta(who needs to let his tail grow back! Dx). i think, he just didn't show off his Delta-ness, and they thought he was a veil. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 
Ariel1719

To be totally honest I think its a little bit of both. My local big al's often has mislabelled betta's and I end up paying a HM price for a Det, which is I think a $10 difference. I also think that they are just so misinformed about betta's and tend to focus more on the bigger more hands on fish. They do know a lot about plants and PH levels for fish, but when it comes to tail types of betta's I think they lack that skill.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote