Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 
lunawatsername

selling bettas to LFSs

so, i might be a little slow on this, but recently i have been considering breeding bettas... and while i have always been concerned about having a place to sell them to (i just talked to a small pet shop in town and he said he would buy them! :D) i had never even considered how much i should sell them for... i guess because i was too worried about making sure the place i sold them too wasnt terrible lol (i cant believe i havent been to this place more often-their fish department was spectacular! super clean tanks, and not one dead fish that i could see!) so now i am confident that i have a good home for them, i was wondering about how much i should sell them for? here are all the specifics i know for now: i want to breed halfmoons, i know i am going to shop around for a good breeder (most likely on aquabid-any suggestions?) i dont know the color or anything like tat of course, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark range, if possible? at least something to bring to the table lol. i mean i know im not going to get a whole lot of money for them really, he is a private pet shop owner and im a first time breeder, i just dont really want to be totally ripped off, and i dont want to be losing too much money by breeding, so it would be nice if it at least payed for itself partially, if not fully. any suggestions/comments are welcome!

also, can you think of any certain questions i should ask him? i was thinking i wanted to ask him where he stores bettas, what he does with the ones that arnt sold (the reason that made me sure that i would want to sell to him is i saw some HUGE fish there, way bigger than you would EVER see at a place like Petco, which kinda showed me that he doesnt just kill them, which is nice :Dtheir was even a gigantic ....bunny? not sure actually lol, but on the side of its cage it said that is was not for sale, it was the store pet lol so cute!) what kind of advice he gives to new betta owners... it seems like reasonable questions to ask to me :) i just dont want any bettas i raise to end up in a place that no one cares about them-or worse, with someone who would have cared for them right, but was misguided. (well, maybe not worse, but just as bad) i just want to make sure i give them the best start i possibly can :)

also (sorry, i know im ridiculously long winded, whoever is still reading this is a trooper, and deserves a cookie lol) i was thinking maybe i should give him some facts about the betta, like what pH they were raised in, what they ate, maybe even a picture of their parents, for anyone who buys one that might want to know? i know that e gets the bettas he had now from a company, they are all veiltails in blue and green, so i doubt he has ever wanted/needed specifics before, but it seems like if he was selling halfmoons, more experienced betta keepers might want some background on them? just a thought :) and if i buy from breeders, should i tell him that he can advertise them as being something special (i mean like putting breeder quality on them or something, it doesnt really matter to me but he does own a business, so i think it could matter to him)

ok this is long enough... lol thanks in advance for any opinions on my rambling :D
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #2 
justinianobrenden

idk petsmart sells HM for like 11 for males n 5 for females so im thinkin about 2 for a female and 4-5 for a male n he can sell them for twise tht. oh and were u serious about the cookie? XD
Posted via Mobile Device
justinianobrenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #3 
justinianobrenden

plus u gotta couple months to even think bout sellin them until they r 3-4 months old n they are bigger n hav most of their colors
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 
copperarabian

I've never breed Bettas, but if he's buying a ton of the babies I'd give him a good deal (like bulk price?) since if you continue breeding bettas and want to sell to him in the future it might start a good business relationship.

Also keep in mind he's buying them to sell them, so if the price is to high he might not want to buy them anymore because he won't make a high enough profit.

I'm also considering breeding, I'm not starting until I know I have possible homes already.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #5 
justinianobrenden

i dont think he would want to buy the "babies" but ya the bulk idea sounds gud lets say u get 100 babies and all of them survive mand he wants them all haha then maybe like all of them for 250? thts like 2 50 each male and female and he culd sell all 100 for like 5 each n get 500 from them or he culd sell them for 10 n make 1000 but ya make a good buisness between u two like he said
Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 
lunawatsername

@ justinianobrenden i was thinking something similar, the next time i go there im going to see what he sells his for, it slipped my mind today when i was there... the only problem i can see is that he only sells veiltails as far as i know, so im not sure that he knows what different tail types are worth or why they matter, so im not sure.... and i was totally serious about the cookie, come on over lol xDDD
oh, and i know i have plenty of time still, i just worry about everything, and id rather have a general plan now than wait til the last minute (like i do a lot lol) and mess something up lol

@ copperarabian that actually brings up a GREAT question that i didnt really look at too closely.... how many would he be willing to buy? hmm.... and to be honest im not sure if he will even buy females or not. i should talk that over with him too, just to be sure. :)
oh and to what you said, i definitely would want to give him a bulk deal, but im not sure how many he would want so i was thinking if i knew what i would be willing to sell just one for, i would know better how many i would sell, say, 10 for. like just hypothetically, if i sold each male for 5 dollars, maybe i could sell 10 males for 40$? something like that, cuz i definately want a good relationship with whoever would be buying from me... and if he doesnt want the females i could always try selling them locally myself, or try aquabid (honestly im kinda iffy about shipping fish.... maybe :/) but that brings up another question... if i sold them to him for 5 each, should i sell them to everyone for that? or should i sell them for more because id have to do more work/ spend more money (if i was shipping or something) to sell hem? so many things to consider lol (and this isnt even the really important stuff! lol)

thanks for the comments you guys :)

edit: yea i dont think he would want the babies either, i think i would wait til they were a few months old and had some good color showing before i would sell them, even if he wanted them very young i think that the majority of buyers probably wouldnt, because from what ive seen most people buy bettas for their color and fins, not to raise them lol

Last edited by lunawatsername; 05-21-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #7 
justinianobrenden

since he is dooin alot of the work on selling only he shuld get the $5 price or the 10 for $40 price u mentioned. other people sell for the full price u want or wht he is sellin them for so like 10 each n if u do it on aqua bid make sure u
1:post good pictures with them
and 2: in your price make sure u include shipping to the charges so u make money. and most petstores sell females but not halfmoons and the halfmoons fins look amazing so i culd see why they sell for more than just a normal fin
Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO you would have to sell to LFS cheaper than to hobbyists because they will re-sell and they also have to consider "maintenance" plus food that needs to be spent before someone actually buys them. Further as you said, you have to do more work.

To profit from bettas you would have to produce a lot per spawn and cuture your own food. Carefully select the best ones and offer them in aquabid or something for a much higher price. As far as I know only rejects go to LFS.... that's why they're cheaper.

Quote:
i want to breed halfmoons, i know i am going to shop around for a good breeder (most likely on aquabid-any suggestions?) i dont know the color or anything like tat of course, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark range, if possible? at least something to bring to the table lol.
I noticed that
1. our breeders mostly ship colorful bettas (often undesired in my area) and
2. many members here also prefer more colorful bettas compared to solid colors.

So I'd suggest you work with multi colors that shows specific patterns like butterflies, marbles etc. Your LFS has mostly blue and green. Try something that contains red, yellow, copper or anything unavailable. Or work with dragons - 2 different dragons will definitely give you a mixture of colors in fry because each dragon is made up of a jumble of genes..... Just a thought.
Further when your LFS sees the beauty of other tail types (HM), I'm certain that he will understand that they are worth more than the VT.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #9 
lunawatsername

yea thats what i meant, i should charge him way less than what i would sell them on like aquabid for, definitely. so 5 each or 10 for 40$ to him, but like 10 or so each on aquabid, or something like that. good idea :)

yeah, ill have to borrow my friends really nice camera, because the only thing i have to take pictures with (my phone) takes terrible pictures unless the lighting is perfect (which it never is, lol)

i love the halfmoons tails on males and females, its the prettiest to me :D ive actually seen a pretty decent variety of tails at the local petco (crowntails, veiltails,plakat, halfmoon, kings, and an odd spade or double here and there), but your right, they usually dont have very many females, and i would rather breed ones that came from a breeder (one that i have seen good reviews on, of course), because petcos usually dont look as nice, and i want really pretty babies xDD
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #10 
justinianobrenden

petco fish usualy dont look nice but like anyfish with nice care from a good owner they often get brighter colors then when first bought and are healthier when put into larger tanks than the likke cup of water they come in. on aqua bid depending on how much overnight shipping wuld be or however fast u gonna send it im hopin next day air of overnight or somethin fast to reduce stress tht u shuld be chargin at least 25 maybe dependin on the fish cuz shippin can be around 10-15 per box and then charge your 10+ extra for the actual fish dependin on color and fin shape, and i thibnk u really only need cups to seperate your males when u can tell sex i read about sororitys of female bettas which arent agressive towards eachother n therefore u culd keep a bunch of the females in a big rubermaid tub together but u cant do tht with males

Tags
bettas, breeder, halfmoons, lfs, selling