Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #11 
justinianobrenden

check out this betta it has amazing colors, amazing is an understatement, if he had a female of this color i wuld buy a pair to breed buti only see two males listed tht look like this from him sadly :(

AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

goto this link to see the fish they are halfmoons and the sellers thing is called NineBettas if you wanna look at all he has for sale
justinianobrenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #12 
laughing

#1) Tour the pet store and anywhere your fish will be. Ask him his procedures with the fish. See where they will be held, what conditions, etc. Find out how often they do water changes, if they balance the pH, what kind of water they are using and such then find out if he'd be willing to adapt that to what your fish are used to. Make sure everywhere your fish will be are acceptable!

#2) Find out what he does with "left overs" & sick bettas. Does he kill the sick ones? Does he send them to QT to treat? Does he send them off somewhere else? How do they diagnose and treat? What happens to bettas that have been there 3+ months? Does he continue to keep them on the shelves, or does he kill them, sell them discounted, or ship them away? It is important to know what is being done with your fish!

#3) What does he believe is proper care for a betta fish? Does he properly educate owners? I would ask if he would accept a betta fish care sheet from you to give with the fish. As well, I'd glance around his store and look at his fish items. Maybe you could write a "Check List" for your bettas that pertain to items in his store. Figure the most coft effective way to purchase everything needed and make it into a nice check list. On the other side have a care sheet about bringing home your betta and why these things are important.

#4) Discuss more "legal" types of matters. If you find your fish to be mistreated, do you have rights? Perhaps receiving all your fish back, and if you do what are the circumstances. Do you keep the money, give back half, or give it all back? If you find out he's been lying about previous agreements, what is the consequence? Would he be willing to sign a contract stating he will perform all things asked of him as stated above and anything else you're willing? Knowing ahead of time what is expected is very important!!

#5) What are YOUR rights? If you would like a fish back, can you take that fish back? Can you refuse certain fry to go to him? Are you allowed to regularly check in on your fish, even those being kept in the back or in treatment? Etc.

I think you should sell them for about half what he's planning to sell them for. If he wants to sell them for $10 ask about $4-$5 per fish. If he wants $12 per fish ask about $5-$6 per fish. I think if he's selling in $10-$12 range you should sell females for $2 to him and males $4 to $5ish. Easily you can make $150 off of that. You have to think, for 2 really nice fish & a decent set up you're looking at $150+. (The fish are the big money suckers!) So if you continually sell fry to him and this works out, you could make good profit. Because you don't have to pay $150 every single time you produce fish.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #13 
lunawatsername

@justinianobrendenomg yea i saw that one! so pretty! ninebettas is actually one of the sellers ive kind of been keeping track of, seems like they have really nice fish :) haha its funny you mention sororities, because im buying females this weekend for my 20g sorority! lol man i wish we could do that with males (full grown ones of course lol) its would be so pretty! o.o

@laughing thank you! those are some great ideas, and a couple of them i hadnt even thought about! i definitely want to do the checklist, and a contract, because im sure their will be a couple i want to keep and i want to know that he has to follow through with proper care, and that he will pass good information on to the customers :D thanks again for all the great advise!
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #14 
justinianobrenden

about sororities when i set up my ten gallon im gonna hav a divider one side for the male hm im gonna get and one for the two female halfmoons i wanna get will the females be okay n this ahuld make it easier cuz he can see the females n will make his bubble nest n then i can just move one of the more pregnant females over that i think will work out better based on the flirting goin on around the divider or wuld it be bad to hav a female fulk of eggs and not breed her? im gonna do exactly wht i auggested with the fry males in seperate and the females in a big plastic tub until they r goin to be sold. and ive heard of males bein together in the same tank as long as it is big enough, they were kept together since birth, and i heard keepinh the father with fry longer makes the males less agressive sometimes if the father doesnt eat them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #15 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinianobrenden View Post
about sororities when i set up my ten gallon im gonna hav a divider one side for the male hm im gonna get and one for the two female halfmoons i wanna get will the females be okay n this ahuld make it easier cuz he can see the females n will make his bubble nest n then i can just move one of the more pregnant females over that i think will work out better based on the flirting goin on around the divider or wuld it be bad to hav a female fulk of eggs and not breed her? im gonna do exactly wht i auggested with the fry males in seperate and the females in a big plastic tub until they r goin to be sold. and ive heard of males bein together in the same tank as long as it is big enough, they were kept together since birth, and i heard keepinh the father with fry longer makes the males less agressive sometimes if the father doesnt eat them?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, that won't work. When housing females, the minimum is six females together, and five gallons is too small for that. Also, NEVER move a female into the male's tank, even if they have been flirting through the divider. When breeding bettas, the breeding tank MUST be separate from the male's tank. Females can be eggy, it won't harm them. They will either absorb them back into their bodies or release them.

To the original poster: the likely hood that you will make a profit is extremely slim. Instead of focusing on the store/money aspect, I would look into other homes for the fish. The store may have gotten a better deal else where or could change their mind. In my opinion, selling the fry to a store isn't to reliable because most stores are interested in money, not fish care necessarily. You can't for sure know that the store will make every customer get at least a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, decorations, and multiple weekly water changes. Just keep other homes in mind that you know will care for them. Another reason you won't make a profit is because this is your first time, a lot of money will be spent, and the fish may or may not produce a high quality spawn.

When breeding bettas, you honestly have to forget about the money, because it can't be about that. Focus on raising a beautiful, healthy, well developed spawn, and later, maybe after a few more spawns, you can focus on producing a sellable spawn.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #16 
lunawatsername

@justinianobrenden i definately agree that having 2 females together wont work. their will be nothing but each other to take aggression out on, and im sure one or both of them will die :/ i also agree that the breeding tank should be sense (not that i know from personal experience of course) but it just seems like if the male was in his home and you put someone else in their, he would be territorial wether he had a bubble nest or not. i can understand how that would be tempting tho :/

@turtle10 i really am doing it for the experience, but the problem is i want to make sure i have a place for them first, and the owner said he would buy them. even if i was selling them to individuals online or even in person, i would have no more guarantee that they would be well cared for than selling them to a pet shop. all i can do is tell them what i know, and i intended to do that to the pet shop too, if you have read earlier comments you know that.
it seems like you took this as me just wanting to make money off the fish, and that is not it at all. the reason i would sell them is because giving the away, to me, seems like they would be more likely to end up with someone who didnt care (if you put free on something, people will take it just because they can. i dont want to do that to my betta babies) and i know this isnt going to be a big earner, but im sure most people can relate to being somewhat tight for money lately, and if they can pay for them selves even a little, that would be nice (i said this before, i guess you missed that part. i know im not going into a betta selling business, i know it will cost me about twice what i will ever make, especially starting out, but if i can make even a little of that back while also assuring the best i can for my fish, i will.)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #17 
turtle10

I didn't miss anything you said, I was just giving you my advice.

I know you will tell the store owner about caring for bettas, but there is no guarantee that he will take the time to make sure the bettas are cared for more than you. All I was trying to say is that if you are selling the bettas yourself, you will make sure they have 2.5 gallons, heater, etc, whereas the pet store owner may not be as thorough and only mention a one gallon with out a heater for example.

I know your sole purpose wasn't to make money, if you just wanted money you probably would not be taking the time to research this. You just mentioned it a lot so it seemed like something relevant.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #18 
lunawatsername

it is true that i mentioned it a lot, but thats because i was seeking advice on it, not because i thought it was more important, im sorry if the post gave that impression.

the thing is, even if i am selling them to someone by myself, all i can do is give them advise, its not like im going to be going to their house and checking their setup. they would easily lie to me, say they have/will get anything they need, then not do it. before i sold them to the petshop, i would be asking him alot of questions like what he does with sick fish, ones that havent been sold, what he recommends new buyers etc. i would also be checking up on them (one of the others that gave my advice on this thread suggested asking him to sign a contract that gave me certain rights, which is definitely something i want) so hat he could hand out caresheets/suggestions that i made, i would walk around his shop and make a checklist of everything you need for a betta that he could add to the checklist, and if i saw something that violated anything on the contract, their would be consequences. (like if i saw mistreated bettas he would have to give them back to me, or sell them back at half the price he bought them for, something like that.) there is no sure way that i can think of to make sure they are all taken care of, i can only give advice. and it seems to me that if i was just selling them it would be even harder to make sure they were taken care of, because alot of people are all about convenience, and i dont sell heaters and tanks, they do. dont get me wrong, i probably will end up selling/giving away some to people i know and people that hear about them and are interested, and i will give them the same care sheets i would give to the pet store, because my advice would be the same. i wish their was a sure way to do it but theirs not, and if done right i dont see selling them to the pet shop as a detriment to the fish at all, and they also might be able find more of them homes than i would. just my way of looking at it.

oh, and i just reread my earlier post. im sorry if i came off as being rude, that definitely wasnt my intention! i appreciate any advice you can give me whether i agree or not :)
Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #19 
justinianobrenden

but if i add both the male and female to the tank at the same time with a divider tht is pretty much the same thing as puttin the male in a breeder with the female in it in a jar he wuld make a bubble nest they flirt, and because he is the male he shuld claim it as his territory anyways but may allow her for breedin is wht ive read i jus dont really see a dofference besides the male wuld hav more room in a breeder cuz the female wuld be in a smaller jar
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #20 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinianobrenden View Post
but if i add both the male and female to the tank at the same time with a divider tht is pretty much the same thing as puttin the male in a breeder with the female in it in a jar he wuld make a bubble nest they flirt, and because he is the male he shuld claim it as his territory anyways but may allow her for breedin is wht ive read i jus dont really see a dofference besides the male wuld hav more room in a breeder cuz the female wuld be in a smaller jar
Posted via Mobile Device
No it is not the same, there is actually a large difference. You cannot breed in the male's tank, the female's tank, or any tank that has other fish in it, even with a divider. Plus, where would the male and females live now? They can't live in the same tank as the fry, even with a divider. The point is, if you want to spawn, you need an empty tank.

I would not breed now, I would just get another tank for the 2nd female. You cannot keep two females together, they will end up killing each other.

Tags
bettas, breeder, halfmoons, lfs, selling