Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Question Attack of the killer Java Moss. No really. Here's a head scratcher!

Hey guys....

So here's one for ya. I got up to check on Cloud, who has a shredded bloody tail....we think he is starting to tail bite. What a surprise, darn imports. He was the only one who we thought would not do this!!!!

Anyhoo. I noticed he is bogged down and a bit panicky when he tries to swim. It was then I realized that a piece of Java Moss had permanently fixed itself to his anal fin. It took me some time to detach and separate them.

What the....?!
Has anyone had this happen or heard of anything like this?
I am totally mystified!
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #2 
tokala

That is strange! The only thing I can think of is that the serum the body produces in reaction to an injury had a glue like effect. Have you ever had a hard time peeling the cotton off of a dried wound from a cheap bandaid? It happens in humans....I dont know about fish though! You would think the water would wash it away but maybe not.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #3 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokala View Post
That is strange! The only thing I can think of is that the serum the body produces in reaction to an injury had a glue like effect. Have you ever had a hard time peeling the cotton off of a dried wound from a cheap bandaid? It happens in humans....I dont know about fish though! You would think the water would wash it away but maybe not.

That's really interesting actually, haha! I wonder. Although, his anal fin is not the injured part....hmmmm. He sleeps in the stuff. Maybe I should take it out? He was quite upset over the entire ordeal. He kept trying to get away, and swam in circles, and the java had attached so well, that it started to twist his fin the more he swam in circles. YIKES!!!!
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #4 
callmeconfused

If he sleeps in it, that may be why. This may sound stupid, but the java moss in my shrimp tank attaches itself to everything it touches within a few hours. I dropped a pinch of it in and it sank over to a piece of driftwood. A few hours later when I went to move it, it had already attached itself to the drift wood and the gravel it was touching.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

And here I thought live plants were safe! My fish ripped a sliver off his ventral fin on an anubias in his tank...the leaf had a little split it in somehow.. and his fin got caught.He is ok of course...I didnt even notice until I was cleaning his tank and seen a piece of orangefin on his anubias...I was like WHAT!?
That is odd that moss can attach to bettas...Java moss really is a crazy plant...I love it though haha.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #6 
callmeconfused

I'm not entirely sure if it can, just a possibility.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post
Hey guys....

So here's one for ya. I got up to check on Cloud, who has a shredded bloody tail....we think he is starting to tail bite. What a surprise, darn imports. He was the only one who we thought would not do this!!!!

Anyhoo. I noticed he is bogged down and a bit panicky when he tries to swim. It was then I realized that a piece of Java Moss had permanently fixed itself to his anal fin. It took me some time to detach and separate them.

What the....?!
Has anyone had this happen or heard of anything like this?
I am totally mystified!
Actually yes, there was a member on here who's betta's fins got tangled in the moss (not sure if it was java). The moss ended up getting tangled so tight that it completely tore the ventral fins off. The owner even tried putting it to sleep for a few minutes with clove oil but the moss had just done too much damage, the ventrals where already basically cut off from the moss being so tight.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote