Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

How much and how long did you do the Epsom salt treatment and did you add tannins too......edit:...2 weeks in treatment......are the scale sticky up and any other parts of his body swollen or just the tummy......

Can you get a pic from above and/or...from above do the side look the same...one side not bigger than the other....the tummy look round without any bumps to indicate a tumor....

I would keep him in Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and heavy tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf....making 100% water changes daily with pre-mixed treatment water while in the low level QT container floating in the heated tank for 10-14 days...feed live foods if you can......cover the top with plastic veggie wrap for the labyrinth.....

I wouldn't rule out internal parasites.....

Keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-21-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #12 
SillyCone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alostfirefly View Post
Yes that's exactly what his poop looked like
I guess the real problem is parasites then, no tumour or SBD, which is a good thing, in a way :P
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #13 
sjones

the idea is he can rest on plants and wedge himself upright etc, making it easier for him to reach the surface to breathe
if you read the article it describes what you are talking about, floating on top
that's the extent of my knowledge though
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #14 
alostfirefly

I did the epsom salt for the full recommended time that I was told before on here. Roughly 7-9 days with daily water changes. Just his tummy is swollen.

My camera batteries are dead and I already put him back in his bowl. I don't wanna stress him with another catch in the net. He's already been through it a lot today.

His tummy seems to bulge more on one side to me, but maybe that's just me.

I don't have any of the other stuff here. The local pet store doesn't sell it I don't think.

I don't have a QT container.. i really should have more stuff for my betta. I'll try to get him some live food in the next day or two. I'm worried about him :(
alostfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #15 
Shotzer

It def sounds like parasites. Although I couldn't tell you what kind with out seeing his poops, best bet would be a broad spectrum dewormer like praziquantel which you would need to give at 5mg/kg of fish, and since you probably don't wanna give him im injections you can give with feed over a couple of days, and it may take a few rounds to get rid of them all depending on his worm burden. You can get it OTC, I know at feed stores for sure they have it.
Shotzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #16 
DarkMoon17

It sounds like internal parasites or a tumor to me, definitely try treating with medicine that is specifically for *internal* parasites (usually means it has to be taken orally). Jungle's Anti Parasite pellets are a good option for internal parasites and it can be found at Petsmart. You are at the limit for the salt treatment but keep doing those 100% daily water changes.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Just an FYI.....Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is safe to use long term....aquarium salt (sodium chloride) should only be used short term due to the effect on internal organs and resistant issues.....

I agree-either tumor, internal parasites or it could be labyrinth related...Epsom salt can help by treating the symptoms to help make the fish more comfy.....it can also help the fish pass parasites to a degree due to the laxative effect- especially when used along with a de-wormer...if it is tumor related it can help by reducing edema to a degree to ease the pressure on the swim bladder that may be causing the buoyancy issue.....especially in the summer when the AC is turned on- that cool dry air can cause labyrinth problems and it can become inflamed and/or infected causing buoyancy issues-covering the QT container with plastic to keep the air above the water warm and humid can help this-the Epson salt can help reduce edema and it has antibacterial/fungal properties too...adding tannin will also help, dim the lights, low water level, Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, provide peace and as stress free environment as possible...careful with too high temp with a compromised fish.....

The container you used to take the pic in on page 1...would work for the QT container......you want something small, clear, bare bottom that can be easily floated in a heated tank to maintain water temp and that you can see in to observe the fish and monitor fecal matter.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #18 
alostfirefly

The nearest PetSmart is almost an hour away.. I have no way to get there. Where else can I get all of this stuff??
alostfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt can usually be found at most stores that have a pharmacy dept...I don't think pet shops sells it......
Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #20 
SillyCone

I bought Aqualibrium, "A physiological salt for the aquarium!" Which doesn't says the medication it contains, not even at the website, I found that so... ugh, annoying.

I was trying to buy your Epson salt OFL :P

It says here it's for treatments as well as for PH control and some other junk.. Well, I guess I will head to the pharmacy tomorrow then.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote