Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #1 
PLECO

wut can go with a betta

like the title said.
i was wondering if i could put a pleco,2 marble hatchets,of course the betta i forget the name but i looks simulare to a platy i think ist a marble ar domation goby in a 10 gallon tank are these fish all compatible thanks if you can help
PLECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #2 
JouteiMike

A pleco would quickly outgrow the 10 gallon tank.

Hatchet fish are a schooling fish and are best kept in groups of 5 or 6, and I think you'll need a bigger tank for them.

Has the tank cycled? I would start slow and let the tank cycle with just the Betta.

How a school of white cloud minnows or neon tetras? Or Ghost shrimp?
JouteiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #3 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Pleco.

Lemon tetras or neon tetras will be great choices. As for the bottom, either otos or cories. As long as your tank has cycled, you'll be fine with the two as they can be sensitive to bad water quality.

Hatchets are surface dwellers and it's best the betta occupies the surface in a ten gallons by itself.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #4 
assualt911

Welcome

Welcome to FishForum, PLECO

I would recommend that you dont get the pleco, cause like what the 2 other people said it will out grow the tank, actually be the size of the tank. i had a Pleco in my 10 gallon tank, it survived for about a month. Pleco's need some space even when there growing. I learned that the hard way :(
assualt911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #5 
PLECO

the guy at the fish store said that all his plecos only grow about 4-5 inches but if i dont get that i guest i would get a oto probably. but would i need more then one. the tank is pretty much new only put the betta in a few days ago. so to cycle it i guest i would put gold fish in it or can i put a few dalmation lyre taild mollys in it
Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #6 
PLECO

i have another question wen u guys say cycle the tank how long like a month. with fish or without in it and do i need to get a test kit. or do you cycle it for a few days with some fish and then test the water and if the ammonia and nitrate and are low put some beter fish in
Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #7 
PLECO

my new list for the 10 gallon
2-3 oto bottem feed
1 gourami
1 male guppy
2-female
can you tell me if they can all go together i now that the otos arnt going in untill the tanks is cycled wich iv already ansked the question about. if they can all go together would they just eat tropicle fish flakes. i also have a 20 gallon but it was use for my repiles i was wondering if i could use it for some fish if i buy a filter and a lid but would i need a heater because it has a heating pad on the bottem thats like glued thanx
Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #8 
leifthebunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLECO
the guy at the fish store said that all his plecos only grow about 4-5 inches but if i dont get that i guest i would get a oto probably. but would i need more then one. the tank is pretty much new only put the betta in a few days ago. so to cycle it i guest i would put gold fish in it or can i put a few dalmation lyre taild mollys in it
What kind of plecos does your LFS have? I've got clown plecos in several of my 12g tanks (including a betta tank) and they only get to 4".

Gouramis and Bettas are both anabantids and likely to not get along. Likewise, the guppy will likely attract the attention of the betta.

The otos will be fine, just make sure the tank is fully cycled before they get added.

You can use a liquid testkit to know how long it will take your tank to cycle. A betta with some plants will do ok to get the tank going on the cycle, just keep testing every couple of days and do appropriate water changes as you see the nitrite/ammonia spikes.
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #9 
PLECO

my 20 gallon i found out was cracked so would my lfs be able to order a pice of glass 4 the bottem and reseal my tank. also the guy at my lfs said the gormi would do fine with the betta and the gguppys should 2 because my friend had his in with his betta i juest i wont now till i get them
Old 07-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #10 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
my 20 gallon i found out was cracked so would my lfs be able to order a pice of glass 4 the bottem and reseal my tank. also the guy at my lfs said the gormi would do fine with the betta and the gguppys should 2 because my friend had his in with his betta i juest i wont now till i get them
Mixing gouramis and bettas is a risky business. I wouldn't do that. If you have a glass store there, they may help you fix the crack of your tank.
Quote:
my new list for the 10 gallon
2-3 oto bottem feed
1 gourami
1 male guppy
2-female
can you tell me if they can all go together i now that the otos arnt going in untill the tanks is cycled wich iv already ansked the question about. if they can all go together would they just eat tropicle fish flakes.
What gourami species do you like? Honey gouramis would be great choices. The stocking list is fine with me.

You may have to vary their food diet instead of just flakes.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote