Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #1 
moniibettalover

Betta Name Thread

Hii , i thought it would be a good idea to make a betta name thread for anyone who recenly got a betta (or any other fish) and is trying to name it. It took me nearly two weeks to think of a name for my current betta
So i'll start :

Name: Fortis
Meaning/where did it come from: It means ''brave'' in Latin
Story behind the name (if there is one): I decided to name my betta brave because one day when I was out , I forgot to close the door of the room where the tank is , and the tank was (isn't anymore) on the floor.So my dog decided to instead of drinking from his water bowl , to drink from Fortis' tank .When I came home I found the heater on one side of the room , filter on the other and half of the water gone . But surprisingly Fortis was perfectly fine ^^
moniibettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #2 
SillyCone

Name: Fillet
Meaning/where did it come from: Means food, hmmm fish fillet.. Yummy~
Story behind the name (if there is one): None really, I thought was hilarious to name him like that, specially because my dad together with my brother made a bet over my fish saying I would kill it before 30 days. :P

I got it for like 3 months now har har har, in your face family! >:E
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 
moniibettalover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
Name: Fillet
Meaning/where did it come from: Means food, hmmm fish fillet.. Yummy~
Story behind the name (if there is one): None really, I thought was hilarious to name him like that, specially because my dad together with my brother made a bet over my fish saying I would kill it before 30 days. :P

I got it for like 3 months now har har har, in your face family! >:E
Haha good name . Had a friend who called one of her fish 'shark-bait'
moniibettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #4 
denaliwind

This was entirely unintentional, but all my bettas except one ended up being named after a food... >.>

Name: Noonie
Meaning/where did it come from: Means 'cat' in a little boys mind
Story behind the name (if there is one): Noonie came from a little boy I knew once when I was younger. For some reason, unknown to me, he called all cats "Noonie." I wish I knew why he chose that name, but it always stuck in my head. When I got Noonie about 3 years ago, it was the first word that popped in my head and it just sort of stuck.

Name: Duck
Meaning/where did it come from: The animal, or a yummy meal :3
Story behind the name (if there is one): The instant I saw Duck on AB I took one look at his little peach lips and thought, "he has duck lips!" so I knew he had to be named Duck... and once I named him, I knew I had to have him. :)

Name: Salsa
Meaning/where did it come from: yummy, spicey salsa and tortilla chips! :P
Story behind the name (if there is one): Salsa took me forever to name, I don't know why it was so difficult. Finally one day as I watched him swimming around salsa just popped into my head. Perhaps it was his salsa like coloring that inspired his name.

Name: Blueberry
Meaning/where did it come from: ...well, he's blue like a blueberry XD
Story behind the name (if there is one): My boyfriend actually named him. We were at Petco when we both discovered him and were immediately attracted to him... I wasn't even looking for a new betta, I was just curious. Out of the many, many bettas they had, Blueberry just stuck out. But I resisted the urge. I said to myself, no more bettas. Then the next day, my boyfriend surprised me with him and said, you have to name him Blueberry, and so I did. ^^
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #5 
SillyCone

Animals with food names are the best ones :D!

I also had a dog named Sausage. xD
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #6 
Blaze54

Name: Blaze
Meaning/where did it come from: Him being red
Story behind the name: Well...he's a mix of red and orange. So I wanted to name him something that had to do with fire. And I didn't want to name him "Fire" :P And Blaze just kind of stuck

Name: Prince
Meaning/where did it come from: Lil' sis
Story behind the name: Well my little sis is like obsessed with princess' (as most girls her age are) and she wanted to get one. So we got one from Wal*Mart and she wanted to name him "Princess". I then told her that it would be humiliating for a proud "manly" betta to be named "princess"! Thus,Prince

Name: Aquarius
Meaning/where did it come from: Jus' like the name
Story behind the name: Well I have been wanting a girl and when I went to PetSmart to get 2 more bettas,I saw her and her bright blue fins just made me thing of something to do with the word "aqua" But it had to be a girls name soo Aquarius!!

Name: Sunrise
Meaning/where did it come from: Well it's the time of day when the sun rises...
Story behind the name: Well I couldn't come up with a name and Sweeda88 gave me this suggestion and I liked it! Thx Sweeda!! Ha

Last edited by Blaze54; 05-21-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #7 
bettalover2000

Name:Prince William
Where it came from: The prince of England
Story: I had thought of the name for a red betta but mine is pink so i thought "oh well" and that is his name!(i plan to get a "Princess Kate" and try to breed them if i can.)
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #8 
Tisia

Name: Sven for Glorry
Meaning/where did it come from: show "how I met your mother"
Story behind the name (if there is one): architect company called Sven, they present a a dinosaur shaped building to nph's character's company, and hand him a button and tell him "PRESS IT! PRESS IT FOR GLORRRRRRRY!" and flames shoot out of its mouth. was watching the episode with the bf while trying to think of a name

Name: Robin Sparkles
Meaning/where did it come from: also himym
Story behind the name (if there is one): character robin's teenage popstar name

Name: Tink
Meaning/where did it come from: sound of little betta face smacking into a plastic cup
Story behind the name (if there is one): I was changing some of her water using a plastic cup to scoop it out, and apparently she thought it might be edible and tried to bite it

Name: Jazz Hands
Meaning/where did it come from: JAZZ HANDS!
Story behind the name (if there is one): he has super long pectorals that wiggle all jazz hand like. bf never remembers pectoral fins and just calls them jazz hands in general, lol

I also have 1 unnamed boy currently, but I like waiting about a week to name

Last edited by Tisia; 05-21-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #9 
SashimiBetta

Name: Sashimi
Meaning/where did it come from: Sashimi is a type of fish (red).
Story behind the name (if there is one): I named my RED fish Sashimi because I thought it fit his looks and it is a pretty cool name. (:

I also have a Betta that I need a name for, please help!: (:
Attached Images

Last edited by SashimiBetta; 05-21-2011 at 07:54 PM.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs

Name: Ganymede
Meaning/where did it come from: Ganymede is one of Jupiter's moons
Story behind the name: Ganymede was my first betta. I set up his tank and I wanted to do an outer space theme for the decor, and I decided to pick a name that also fit the theme. I got him and started thinking about different space-related names, and Ganymede was the one that I thought suited him most. I still think it's an awesome fish name!

Name: Calliope
Meaning/where did it come from: 22 Kalliope is an asteroid, but I opted for the alternate spelling, Calliope.
Story behind the name: I was distraught after Ganymede's untimely death and thought I'd never get another fish. But after just a few days of seeing his empty tank I couldn't stand it anymore and went out to get another. I saw this cute, spunky little girl among a shelf of horribly sick and diseased bettas. In honor of Ganymede, I wanted to continue the space-theme. I considered Io and Europa (more Jupiter moons) but they didn't seem to fit so I branched out to just general space-themed names. I thought about Cassiopeia and Andromeda, but settled on Calliope as it seemed to suit her.

Name: Arcturus
Meaning/where did it come from: Arcturus is the name of a star in the constellation Bootes.
Story behind the name: By this point I just had to continue with my theme. I thought about Callisto, but decided Arcturus had a very unique, bold sound.

Name: Gemini
Meaning/where did it come from: Gemini is the "twins" constellation. I don't believe in astrology, but it's also my star sign.
Story behind the name: I knew my next fish would be a dt (preferably hmdt). I ended up picking the name before I got my fish...Gemini are the twins, so I thought it was very fitting for a doubletail. I searched for months for my fish, trying to find one that looked to me like a Gemini and finally found him last weekend.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote