Blaze54

Oh and I am a very strict water changer
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #22 
Erin8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
Oh and I am a very strict water changer
I'd probably go with 3 peppers then, they are the hardiest. Just make sure they have lots of hiding spots, because with small numbers they will feel less secure. The more hiding spots = the more active. Yes, fish are quite weird haha(:
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #23 
Blaze54

No problemo Have that alllll planned out Thx so much for your help
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #24 
Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
Yes I am,but I'm using Stability by seachem. They say you can do a fish-in method while cycling with Stability,but I'm not taking the chance. I have decided on cory cat's. I have seen them at LFS's and they awesome! And could I have cherry shrimp in there also?
I can reccomend the Stability. My brother set up a 60L community tank, planted. He started from scratch and on the first day he already added his swordtails. The week after that he added his leopard danios and a week later the next lot (I cant remember what he chose :P). The main thing with Stability is to use it for the 7 days like they say on the bottle. His tank has now been going for 2 months, its cycled and he didnt have any fish deaths! Plus it looks beautiful! I use the Stability with my betta tank as well, altho I waited 2 days before adding my boys. And they where building nests within a few hours!

I must admit Seachem products are very expensive for us, but they last so much longer than the tetra products and we have had less problems since switching.Im currently saving for a bottle of flourish to help my moss wall out :D
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #25 
bettafish15

I really wouldnt do that stocking plan, I dont think the person was taking into account the huge bioload that is for a 10g. It may seem like a big tank, but it isnt, and you cant afford to overstock in that size, you know? Either a betta with cories, or a betta with platies. Not both. :/ I'm just looking out for your fish here.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #26 
Ajones108

In a 10g tank with that selection of fish, the worry isn't the bioload as much as it is the territory needs. You don't want any of your fish to be too crowded. I personally don't see a problem with 2 platys, one betta, and 3 cories as long as you make your water changes priority. Also, how is your filtration? A wise woman once told me its OK to slightly overstock if you have a filter that is rated for a 15 or 20 gallon tank. The thing with cories is that they stay on the bottom level of the tank most of the time. You want to plan a tank with fish that are top-level dwellers, mid-level, and bottom level. Your platys are your mid levels, and your cories are your bottom level. Then you have your one betta female, the only one that has territorial needs.

ALSO! If the tank is cycled, and you want to make sure your water levels aren't getting too dangerous, make sure it is planted to help with nitrAtes. Hope this helps! :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #27 
Blaze54

Thanks it did And as said it will be cycled. Maybe with a couple real plants. Not sure yet.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #28 
alidawn15

I was told that platys prefer hard water since they're livebearers. Finding that out could help you narrow it down. If you switch over to tropicalfishkeeping.com which bettafish.com is a part of you can look at profiles for the different fish and what they need.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote