Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #1 
Drocketman

Newts and such...

Hi all. I have just spent an hour reading the very informative posts on the site and had to ask as question.

I recently bought a Betta for my son as his first pet...then we set him up in a 1 gallon bowl (which is not the best for them as I have since read).

I have a 20 gal long tank setup for newts. 1/2 dry space with about 8 gal. of fluid space, good filtration and heat.

Has anyone heard of Bettas being located in this sort of setup before? is it possible?

I'd like to intorduce him as I think it would make a nice setup, but do not want him anywhere where he would not be safe.....

any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Drocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....sorry, I wish I could help you out...I don't know a thing about newts......

What is the normal or natural diet of newts...if they are not fish eaters the Betta may be safe or if the newts don't excrete anything toxic through the skin, body.... etc..........

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help....but as you can tell....I don't know a thing about newts...lol....but did want to welcome you to the forum....

However, the 1gal unfiltered tank/bowl should be fine for the Betta provided that you make the needed water changes.....that being twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality and fin health-(if the tank is filtered twice weekly 50%), a good varied diet, maintain water temp in the 76-80F range....be sure and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between the new and old water with the water changes to prevent temp shock problems...especially with the 100% and always use a good dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish......

Love to see some pics of both the Betta and newt.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
SillyCone

^ You should listen to her, she's our hot deal, jackpot, royal street flush... Well you get the point xD!

And yes, it's mandatory for you to share your newts photos with us!

Also welcome to the forum~

SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #4 
gmd1800

I think it would be a really cool idea if both animals are safe and one won't get eaten, etc. Wish I could help, though!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #5 
FuulieQ

I would DEFINITELY NOT put a newt in with anything other than another newt of similar size. Reason being, most newts and salamanders are actually quite poisonous. If your fish decides to nip the newt, it could easily be poisoned and die, and you'd never know for sure what happened. Plus, I'm pretty sure that newts are supposed to be kept at room temp, not tropical conditions like bettas.

Additionally, newts have an interesting life cycle - there are larva, efts and adults. Larva and adults are aquatic, but efts are terrestrial. They don't like water much at that stage, so you'd have to have a half-and-half land/water setup if you wanted a newt in eft stage. I guess it depends on what kind of newt you wanted to get, but anyway, I wouldn't keep one with a betta.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #6 
Drocketman

Thanks for all the quick responses!

SillyCone- as soon as they're all settled i'll post some pics.

I think I'll be looking for another place for the Betta...maybe next door in a smaller tank. I do not want to take a chance on toxins from the newts.

Thanks again!!
Drocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

What type of newt are they? The most common in the pet world are Japanese Fire Newts (black/brown body, bright red belly with black spots), which are not toxic and are also too small to eat a betta. I had 3 of them in a 20 gallon for 8 years (they lived a LONG time) and I never noticed any aggression. They can be kept at room temp but I believe I had a heater for mine. I can't really remember since it was so long ago though. If I got them again I would definitely try keeping them with fish. They were my first pet :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Don't fire belly newts take max 74 degrees for their water, though? And I thought I read that only some of them are non-toxic in captivity... some still retain the natural toxins... I mean, it's not a problem unless you're going to eat the things, but... ;)

They're really super adorable. I wish I could get newts. I'd especially like to keep efts, but efts like to wander about and I wouldn't want to keep one in a small space.

[edit] Wait, Darkmoon17, are you sure you had the Japanese variety? You said they were small, but Wikipedia says they get up to 5.5 inches! o-o That's... a really big newt...

Last edited by FuulieQ; 05-22-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

I'm trying to remember, I got them when I was 4 so I didn't exactly do much research! By the time they died I was 12 and I had come into the understanding that they weren't going to died no matter what I did to them. But they were definitely Japanese Fire Belly Newts. They do get to be around 5" but most of it is their tail. They would only be able to eat a very small minnow. Mine were so docile I doubt they would ever go for a fish. They are pretty slow moving too.

Most animals that are toxic in the wild are not toxic in captivity (ie poison dart frogs are not poisonous in captivity) because their diet does not mimic their wild diet perfectly. However, I just did some research and it seems that JFBN do have glands that secret toxins and that it can irritate your skin and that it can be toxic to some animals. I find that absolutely amazing because as a child I never washed my hands after playing with my newts lol Upon closer review I'm thinking it would probably NOT be a good plan to house bettas and Fire bellies together ;)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #10 
FuulieQ

I love it when people ask if captive dart frogs are poisonous. xD I don't know why. It just makes me giggle, even though I totally thought they were poisonous too for a long time.

I guess a five inch newt would still have a pretty small mouth.

Fun fact, newt poison is the same as pufferfish poison. :U It's strong stuff. I'm pretty sure both varieties of FBN couldn't kill you unless you ate them or something but it's still cool, I think. Newts are pretty slow, aren't they? I was out catching amphibians awhile ago walking down a trail and I accidentally stepped on an eft. Right on its head. I am almost the slowest walker in the world, and it still couldn't get out of the way! It's a good thing they're tough critters, I would have felt so bad if I hurt it. ;_; I watched it for a while and it seemed fine, so I let it go.