Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 
LouCB

Question HELP me with my shrimp please!!

hello, i bought 2 shrimp about 2 months ago, they both looked exactly the same and was labelled as "ghost shrimp" in the lfs.

i have seen 2 sheds a few weeks ago so i presume they are happy in with mr betta?

in the last few days they have been less shy as kept seeing them about tank (one at a time), a minute ago i looked in and they were side by side!

they look very different....

one is larger than the other, the smaller one has a black line down the centre of its body and plain tail where as the big one has a yellow bright line doen his body and has 5 yellow spots/2 black spots on its tail??

managed to get a picture of larger one (smaller one hid under filter sponge lol)

any ideas??

LouCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Possibly not a ghost shrimp. Its head and body look slightly different than a true ghost shrimp. Very cool looking shrimp, there are many cool shrimp species that are uncommon and never talked about.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #3 
Blaze54

I am most likely wrong but it kind of looks like the Yellow shrimp. As I said I may be wrong but if it is,it will be fine. They are also acceptable tank-mates for your betta. Good luck with them
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #4 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
I am most likely wrong but it kind of looks like the Yellow shrimp. As I said I may be wrong but if it is,it will be fine. They are also acceptable tank-mates for your betta. Good luck with them
They are not yellow shrimp, because yellow shrimp are smaller and entirely yellow.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 
LouCB

I was looking in Google and I think its a male amano shrimp? Could be wrong! Dunno what the smaller one is unless its just younger hmm

And yea betta hasn't touched them and they swim away if he swims past them so fingers crossed lol
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #6 
shinybetta

He has a similar body shape, but I have never seen an amano shrimp with a line down its back that color. Maybe a mutation?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

They are bamboo shrimp (aka flower shrimp, wood shrimp and marble shrimp), commonly found at Petco. They are perfectly safe to keep with bettas, they don't even have pincers. They can get pretty big though, up to 4".
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #8 
LouCB

it looks exactly like these in the link, so thought it was amano shrimp...?

http://www.petshrimp.com/amanoshrimp.php
Old 05-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #9 
vaygirl

I found this while searching around...

Is there alot of variation in the coloring/marking of Caridina japonica shrimp? Yes. I have fifty of them in a 29 gallon tank. They vary considerably in coloration and transparency. These qualities tend to change with age. The yellow line grows more pronounced with age. Moreover, the intensity and size of the spots on the side of the shrimp vary considerably. I have shrimp with spots so faint that they are almost undetectable and others with large, pronounced spots in-line along the length of the shrimp's tail. I love these guys! They eat everything from detritus to BBA. They are worth every penny. And when you buy fifty of them, those pennies add up! :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #10 
vaygirl

And here's a pic of Caridina Japonica, looks a lot like yours.

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote