Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #1 
JoLynn

Question Driftwood?

I went down to the river today and found some awesome drift wood. I've heard of people putting driftwood they've found in betta tanks, and I was wondering what's the best way to treat it? I don't want any germs or weird stuff getting my babies sick.
JoLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #2 
iamtetsuo

The best way to treat it is to boil the wood in a pot of water. The longer the better generally. Also hardwoods do better in tanks than softwoods, any idea on what kind of tree your driftwood came from?
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #3 
Thunderloon

If you're going to boil it make sure to bring the water to a boil to begin with and let it stay hot for a while, it is possible to trap chlorine inside. When you put the wood in it will float for a while, let it settle on its own.

Be very careful of any industry up-river from where you got the wood! Antifungals will kill fish just as well as hammers! Remember to use carbon filtration for a while after you do put it in the tank.

Or you could go find some small driftwood pieces or bits at your LFS, stuff always breaks off the big bits when they're delivered and the driftwood they get in the store is chemically treated, sterilized, deionized and then hardened so no pH/alkalinity changes.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #4 
Wyvern

Yea I got a small piece from my LPS and have been boiling it for 3 hours now just to get rid of the tannins in it. Not 100% sure what tree its from, plus I dont want my water to go brown :P I will keep it in a bucket for another week after this last 1hour boil (I boil till some of the water is gone then chuck the old water out add new and start again.)

My brother and I found boiling for about 3 -4 hours removes the worst of the tanins and helps the wood absorb the water better so it sinks when your done with the boiling. Once done Im going to tie some Java moss to the pieces and put it with my kids.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #5 
JoLynn

Okay! I have no idea what tree it's from, and I'm pretty sure there's no factories or anything up river. Should I sand it down a little bit? There's some rough edges.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #6 
Wyvern

Yea its a good idea to sand it down, then the boiling will make it softer as well. But sand the rough edges off
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #7 
JoLynn

Any idea how long exactly I should boil it?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #8 
Wyvern

As I said I boiled mine for about 4 hours on and off during the day yesterday. An hour from what Ive heard is the minimum. Just keep topping it off with more water and every hour throw out the water. The boiling made mine soft so that there are no edges on it at all for the betta's to hurt themselves on. Plus the boiling removed the tanins so that I dont have to use carbon to get it out of my water.

Tags
decoration, driftwood