Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #1 
xMandy

Oops! Came home with more..

Lol! Ok, so I posted yesterday on how I got a new betta male..and while I was there I saw an orange female.
Well, I went back..
Was going to put her in my extra betta bowl until the guppies in my 10g are sold. (Turning that into a female betta tank)

How did I end up coming home with another tank (2.5 gallon), the orange female..and a blue/white female????

I don't know..but I'm not complaining!
I'm a little worried about the orange female..she's hanging around looking very stressed out. Hopefully she'll come around.

Pics;

I'm sure the fins will grow out and look better later on.
Can someone please tell me if I'm mistaking her color for something else?
And is there a name for the color of the white/blue female?
Thanks! :)

Last edited by xMandy; 05-21-2011 at 08:31 PM.
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #2 
fleetfish

BEAUTIFUL girls! I would say that you do have an orange lady. The other looks like a multicolour/pastel.

It looks like they are in the same tank .... although it may seem they are getting along, I highly recommend separating the two of them. One could become dominant over the other and kill her. I really don't think you want that! Separating them could also reduce the orange girl's stress.

Last edited by fleetfish; 05-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #3 
xMandy

Thanks, and they are both doing their own thing. Orange is at the top and white is on the bottom chilling out after exploring the tank.
We have two females in another tank and they don't pick at each other?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #4 
Arianthy

im as guilty as you are LOL i bought 3 multi colored girls yesterday... and another boy today O_O along with a snail ( who im worried about.... the was be tank mate bit of his tentacles and now he's afraid to come out of his shell... sigh... bad Trooper! I put him in one on my QT tanks till he feels better)
Arianthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #5 
xMandy

..haha!
I was about to come home with a blue/white male.. but I was like... NO!
I forgot a heater for the girls tank..frig.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I agree that they should be separated.. It may seem like things are ok, but there needs to be way more cover and at least another female to spread the aggression out. If not, you may wake up with a badly injured or dead fish!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #7 
kathstew

She's probably stressed out because she is with the other female. You really should separate them, I was in a similar situation and it didn't turn out well...
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #8 
xMandy

They were split. I put the stress coat stuff in for her as well, but she still died overnight.
The other female (white) is doing fine.
Sorry I didn't reply. The morning she died..I also had a guppy die..then a chinchilla die. (All for different reasons. lol.)

But yes. If I get more females I'll just split them until they can go in the 10g with others.. or if I got 2 more would they all be ok together until then?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Sorry about that :c

They could be ok. It depends on their temperments They'll establish a pecking order for sure, which will mean fighting, but things could go well. Its hit or miss.

You're gonna need Waaaayyy more plants and hiding spots, though. High plants, medium and short are best so they can hide and swim without being noticed by more aggressive females. Add all in at the same time, too, meaning remove the one who lives in there for a bit and add back. Keep an eye on them and watch for too much fighting.

All this, of course, in your TEN gallon, not the 2.5!

In the ten, Id get a total of 5, not 4. Odd numbers help disperse the aggression better, there's always another target when there's a fight swimming around to give one a break from being picked on. (sounds awful, hah.)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #10 
metalbetta

5 or 6 seems to be the magic number. Too few and they'll rip each other apart. Too many and they could be overcome by disease. Keeping females together requires experience with bettas, knowledge about their behavior, and a ton more attention than the usual community aquarium requires. They're tiny fish, but definitely a handful!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote