Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Stocking question (NOT Betta related).

I was wondering if it would be okay to keep 5 male guppies with 3 corydoras catfish in a 10 gallon. It sounds like a lot, but one is a bottom dweller, and one is a top dweller, so the it wouldn't really be overstocked, and I can't imagine that guppies would have a high bio-load. Just to clarify, NO BETTA will be going in the tank, just the guppies and cories. Thanks!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Bioload doesn't reply on where the fish are in the tank, it relies on how many fish are poo'ing/urinating and breathing the water. You would have to have a strong cycle adjusted and do more water changes for that many fish. But if you have that, I would say that shouldn't be too bad. I have no idea what a cory even looks like in person though lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

Bioload actually has to do with how much waste a fish produces. A smaller, less messy fish has a lower Bioload, but something like a Goldfish that produces a LOT of waste in a day has a higher Bioload.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Bioload actually has to do with how much waste a fish produces. A smaller, less messy fish has a lower Bioload, but something like a Goldfish that produces a LOT of waste in a day has a higher Bioload.
That's what I just said... you said something about having top and bottom dwellers producing less mess. Which makes no sense. Overstocking is when your bioload becomes to much for your bacteria to handle as an example. (Fish size and water maintenance is another).

If you don't want others opinions, why ask for advise? I may be new to Bettas, but I am not new to topical tanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

I didn't SAY I didn't want other people's advice. I've also read that stocking also has to do with where the fish swim. So you wouldn't want to have a bunch of top dwellers, but you could get away with having top dwellers and a few bottom dwellers. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't want your help. I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm just asking for advice and trying to figure things out, and find out if what I've read is correct or not.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

It did kinda come off as if you were implying I'm an idiot ;)

Those rules of stocking has less to do with bioloads (where the fish are in the tank) but more to do with how the fish will get along. Say you can keep 10 fish in a tank, 5 top dwellers and 5 bottom dwellers would do great. Or 3 bottom dwellers, 4 mid dwellers and 3 top dwellers would work also. But getting 10 bottom dwellers would be a disaster, especially if they have to compete for food. You can guess how this ends with more aggressive fish. That's what I was trying to say, 10 bottom dwellers will product just as much bioload as 10 fish of different areas in the tank. But you are right, the smaller the fish, the less bioload (unless it's something crazy like goldfish haha).

Normally I would say 8 fish is a bit much in a 10g tank.. but since 5 of those fish are guppies, it's more like 3 normal fish plus the cories!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Okay, thanks! I've decided I might not get corys, though. We have really hard water, and I'm not sure how they would do with that. I should probably stick with hardy fish. So if I don't have corys, how many guppies could I have? or should I stick with 5?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Okay, thanks! I've decided I might not get corys, though. We have really hard water, and I'm not sure how they would do with that. I should probably stick with hardy fish. So if I don't have corys, how many guppies could I have? or should I stick with 5?
Stick with 5, if you want more than keep a spawn from your Guppies. Pick what you want, and they are free!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #10 
ollief9

You sure you want Guppies? They breed like RABBITS :/
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote