Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 
elsilerjr

Hawkeye 5 gallon dust problem

i was curious if anyone has had a problem with dust getting in the tank? the way the filter is set up it makes you cut out a big chunk of plastic in the back so dust just falls right in, i was going to just put a paper towel back there but wasnt sure if anyone else found a solution for it.
elsilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

i am not sure that dust is really a problem... I dont have hoods on any of my tanks at all, so i guess if you are worried about it you could use a paper-towel, but i doubt the dust will harm the fish.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #3 
Murka

I have the same tank, I just haven't set it up yet...
Murka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #4 
elsilerjr

Oh it dosnt harm him, but I can see the particles in my tank. It dosnt make the water cloudy but it's not crystal clear. My last 2 tanks had a full hood with a internal filter, this is my first one that hangs on the back, I put a towel there to stop it. I'm not sure anything else to do. I'll try and post a pic of it later to show you.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I use seran wrap loosely put over it. The filters/lights get hot, so be careful with paper towels.

Its actually probably not dust, it might look like it, though. Most tanks get a harmless, natural film on the top of the water that can look dusty. Mine do sometimes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 
elsilerjr

That makes sence I went to walmart and got this stuff called crystal clear says it clumps it up. But I think what I wanna do is take him out of the 5 gallon, clean wash it. And put him in my first half gallon tank for a awhile and cycle the 5 gallon cuz I have never cycled any of his tanks. But he's been fine. I got a ph test strip and it was high so the water is pretty bad anyway. All I have is betta safe conditioner so after the cycle I'll go invest in some ph fluid.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsilerjr View Post
That makes sence I went to walmart and got this stuff called crystal clear says it clumps it up. But I think what I wanna do is take him out of the 5 gallon, clean wash it. And put him in my first half gallon tank for a awhile and cycle the 5 gallon cuz I have never cycled any of his tanks. But he's been fine. I got a ph test strip and it was high so the water is pretty bad anyway. All I have is betta safe conditioner so after the cycle I'll go invest in some ph fluid.
Crystal clear? Thats the stuff that gets rid of cloudiness, right? You really dont need it. What is more likely going on is your substrate is leeching some color or whatever (which is fine, it happens) or you have bacterial bloom in your tank. This can happen even without live plants.

I wouldnt shove him into a half gallon tank while you cycle. Its hard to heat that, and you probably dont have a heater for a tank that small (why go out and buy a new one?), which isnt good for him. When you wash it (which, sure, do it) dont use too hot of water on the acrylic. Its not good for it. If you want to sanitize, put in a whopping 3-6tsp of AQ salt/gallon for any plants, gravel, etc. Never use soap. Be gentile temp wise on the heater and filter, as they can be damaged by high temps.

It can take weeks at the minimum for a tank to cycle. Months if youre unlucky. That means for months he'd be in a tiny tank, one you'd need to do daily 100% water changes in. Thats no fun for either of you!

Also, it does not matter what pH the betta is in. Theyre fine in any reasonable pH. Do NOT mess with the water's pH, not at all. You'll have more problems when you do. High pH is fine, so is low. They get used to it. Its just an expensive waste of time.

I say cycle the tank with your fish in it. That way, you dont need to do huge water changes each day, dont need to buy a new heater, and he gets to stay comfy. Its not harder to do with the fish in it, but you need to be more diligent with monitoring and with water changes. If you would like, I can send a private message on what to do in easy to read steps, because I know a lot of what is online is complicated or too vague.

Regardless of fish in or fish out, you need at least a liquid ammonia testing kit to monitor ammonia, and better yet also nitrate and nitrite.

Let me know if you'd like that email. <3
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #8 
elsilerjr

Oh sweet. That's some great info. And yes it was crystal clear and it didn't work much. And I already own the half gallon that's what the guy sold me with my first betta, but I'll just do what your email says to cycle the tank. I plan on getting some easy live plants and 2 ghost shrimp so I want to make sure the tank is in good condition and I want the tiny specs gone it's annoying to look inside the tank and see them floating around from the filter.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

It sounds like protein/natural build up, nbd!

Ill send it to you.

I would hold off on the shrimp for now, because they need an already cycled tank. Theyre sensitive to water parameters.

Live plants will help you cycle :)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #10 
elsilerjr

Thank you for all your help. Im going to go out and buy the master kits and testers and im going to try and find a place that sells anacharis, I googled it and it said it needed some sort of CO2 fertilization?