Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 
seljic

Ich! Help!

Hi!

Sorry for posting so many questions at once--I thought I was out of the woods after I picked up a [seemingly] healthy little CT this morning. I put him in the tank, got him set up, and immediately noted strange white pigmentation on his fins and body. Of course I had no idea what this was (being a novice fishkeeper with one extremely hardy little VT who has survived just about everything I could throw at him).

What do I do now? How quickly does this progress? I can't raise the temperature (my heater is preset to a certain temperature which I can't change). Can I add salt? Is table salt okay? What about Ich meds from the petstore?

Help! I don't want him to die! He isn't listless or acting sick at all, but the tank hasn't cycled yet so I will be doing lots of water changes in the next few days.

He is in a 10 gallon tank (solo, but he occupies a 5-gallon side).
seljic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
seljic

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yep
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Um maybe I'm not sure what that is
Is your tank heated? Yep
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day on Cash (the VT, not sick), new guy hasn't had a water change yet
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, stress coat if he's looking dusky

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia: Low
Nitrite: Low
Nitrate: Low
pH: Moderate
Hardness: Soft
Alkalinity: Moderate

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has maybe half a dozen tiny white spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all. He is active and eating (flaring, swimming around the tank)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning after I brought him home from the pet store
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him this morning
How old is your fish (approximately)? See above. He's sort of little (significantly smaller than my 6-month old VT)
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Did you cycle the tank or is the water new? Are there bubbles on the walls of the tank? It is possible that if the water is brand new, the spots are bubbles (that has happened to me before). Or does it look like this?

If you cannot raise the temperature then you should use traditional medications. It can be dangerous to add Aquarium Salt (NEVER use table salt with fish) to a tank for more than 10 days and without speeding up the ich's lifecycle with heat, it will take longer than 10 days to treat. There are a number of common medications, this site has a good list: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
Make sure you do daily 100% water changes during treatment (even if the medication does not tell you to do so). It might be easier to separate him into a floating container during treatment. Any parasites in the tank will die without a host if left for around a week.

Food: bettas prefer pellets, I suggest finding a pellet with over 40% protein when you get the chance.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #4 
seljic

Thank you for your quick response!

I went out and bought a heater with variable settings and will return the other one. So I'm gradually increasing it to 86 (?) about a degree an hour or so. Also, I found some aquarium salt and I added that. I don't have enough treated water to do 100 percent water changes...will 50 percent be okay?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #5 
JKfish

What you can do is get a large tubberware that's maybe 1/2 a gallon to 1 gallon, fill it with the salty water, and float it in your 10 gallon with your new boy in it. This'll decrease the amount of water you have to use and make the water changes easier.

Use 1 to 2 teaspoons of aq salt per gallon, for now 1 ought to be enough. After ten days, you should remove all salt, but keep the water at 86 degrees for another 4-5 days with 100% water changes. After that, he should be better, and you can introduce him back to the 10 gallon.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #6 
seljic

Also, this is what it looks like:
Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #7 
seljic

JKfish:
Oh wow! Thank you so much! That will work perfectly. I will try that =)
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 
JKfish

are you talking about the little rows of silver/white pigmentation on his scales towards his tail? If so, it might just be his coloring. If there seems to be little salt granules stuck to his body and tail, then it's probably ich.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #9 
seljic

Yea, he does have lighter pigmentation along his body, but he also has little white specks on his fins (sorry, it's a little hard to see in the photo). It looks like the photo Darkmoon posted only not as severe.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #10 
seljic

Ha, I think this poor fish is sick of me poking at him.

I went ahead and kept him in the big tank for today, since I didn't have anything of sufficient size/safety to float him in. I added some salt and have upped the temperature to about 84ish right now. I also did a full water change since he was sitting on the bottom gasping early this afternoon. He ate some bloodworms and is cruising around the tank right now (trying to pick a fight with my VT in the neighboring tank).

How long should I keep this up? How long do you think it will be before I can safely add Cash (VT) to the split tank that he will eventually share with Vito (CT)?