Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #1 
baylee767

Thumbs down I've been a bad fish keeper lately...

For whatever the reason, I'm trying, but I can't seem to find my interest in fish. I come here and glance at the screen and get so bored I turn away instantly. I do nothing but feed my fish once a day (sometimes forgetting a day) I got a week behind on water changes on my 2 gallon tank on my already sick CT and on my 3 gallon with my HMPK. My 10 gallon had some issues. The pygmy cories started dying for who knows what reason. I did a 50% water change because even though I was "up to date" with water changes in that tank, they started acting weaker. Still, I lost another, and only 3 out of 5 are left. My CT has the beginning stages of finrot.

I finally looked at my fish and noticed some problems, so, tonight at midnight, I did a 100% water change with AQ salt in my CT tank, a 75% water change on my 3 gallon (cycled) Both in secret because my parents would be angry if they found out about late night water changes. No water change for my 10 because I did one yesterday. But I'm not quite sure why I've lost interest.

I mean, my scedule is a little bit more busy, with acouple of activities each day after school, but that's no excuse. Maybe it's, believe it or not, is when I got sent the wrong medicated food for my fish. My dad never called back to get the new one so I just sat there and waited as if I couldn't get involved with the fish until that medication was bought. Or maybe it's because my brother's leaving for boot camp and I'm just trying to hang out with him more. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope I can keep up interest.... I hope you guys don't hate me for all of this.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Hey we all have our off days. Stress can make a person go nuts. Somedays I put off feeding the boys and a few times I forgot to change Akira's water when he was suffering mild finrot. Luckily its gone now but I hope everything turns out for the best. Maybe you should isolate the cories just so they don't transfer anything to Neon.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Don't feel bad. It happens to all of us. For the past two weeks while I've been moving my fish have only been fed twice a week and sparse water changes while I rushed to get everything set up. I still haven't even set up a couple of my tanks because when I get home I'm so tired I just don't feel like filling tanks. Just keep going and eventually you'll get through the rut.

Good luck to your brother at boot camp and I hope the rest of your cories and your CT get better soon.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #4 
laughing

Don't worry, I was slightly suffering from that. For some reason I found no interest in this site. Im wondering if it was all the bashing from family and friends with being "obsessed" with this site and it gt subconcious.

Finally im sort of interested but not nearly as much. And a day or two last week I didn't even want to look at my fish. Water changes seemed like cutting an appendage off when they're only 2.5 gallons!

I hope you get snapped out of it, too. Just remember how amazing your fish are! ^^
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I have 8 fish tanks to clean and do water changes on..Sometimes I drag my feet quite a bit..Especially when allergies are messing with me or 1 or two of my fish are sick and need 100% daily water changes ...or I just get busy in general...I know that I have brought them here though...they cant change the water themselves.. and they are my responsibility..So I always try my best to get what I need to do done..eventually...usually after a few cups of coffee... Even if I don't get around to it until 10pm at night.Normally when I am done I always feel good about getting it done..The fish are happy and I have a pretty tank to look at while having another cup of coffee...
I don't think anyone here hates you.I know I don't..I had to skip water changes on Easter weekend..things were just too dang busy and crazy here at the house.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 
laughing

A few nights ago I got home really late and my plan was to crawl in bed and pass out. I check the fish and of course Julep has lost his color completely ten I remembered I missed out on my water change.... I didn't want to do one so I grab a cup, scooped some water out, and did a small 15% fish in water change.

There's always some compromise, even if it means 3 cups of coffee, LOL!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #7 
FuulieQ

I'm typically pretty obsessive about taking care of my guys, but I know how you feel. Sometimes life is stressful and you just don't need the extra work. I'm actually late on a water change right now. >_< I feel really bad, but I was gone all weekend and now it's late and I can't change it until tomorrow morning. Sorry Robert. He'll be okay, he's healthy as an ox. A neurotic, nervous ox... My five gallon is a little overstocked, too, so I really should be keeping on top of this.

Just remember that your fish are living things, and when you bought them, you promised to take care of them. Even if you're not interested, you just shouldn't buy an animal and neglect it. I'm not saying you are, I just mean that you need to be careful.

Last edited by FuulieQ; 05-23-2011 at 12:07 AM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #8 
baylee767

Well I'm starting to gain some interest. I forced myself to do a water change on the 2 gal (another midnight one) But hey, at least it takes about 2 mins as the tank is bare bottom. The finrot has slowed some already.

Fuulieq: Yep, that's what I'm screaming at myself (hehe) I bought them so I can't get lazy with them.

Not nearly as addicted as before, but there is once again some interest. I want my addiction back!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Well I'm starting to gain some interest. I forced myself to do a water change on the 2 gal (another midnight one) But hey, at least it takes about 2 mins as the tank is bare bottom. The finrot has slowed some already.

Fuulieq: Yep, that's what I'm screaming at myself (hehe) I bought them so I can't get lazy with them.

Not nearly as addicted as before, but there is once again some interest. I want my addiction back!
The addiction will come. Especially as you got three gorgeous boys.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #10 
Astro277

I know the feeling. but with mine its kinda like do I really want to clean 3 ten gallons and a 20 gallon all in one day? Not really..... but i'll do half today.
Lol really makes me wish I had less tanks on those days but what helps me thru it is thinking about possible losing my prize winning guppys or my precious wild Betta Unimacs (who just spawned :3 )
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote