Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #1 
tokala

Leaving for a week...fish sitter advice?

Well, when I first got into this hobby, it was in the middle of a chilly snowy winter while being bogged down with school work. Perfect time to learn how to care for fish! But alas.... summer is almost here, and I have realized how little I am home when the climbing/rafting/hiking/camping/etc is good!

I will be taking weekend/4 day trips often, which should be fine with my 10 gal and 5 gal. I am going to give Chester (my big orange dal) to a friend who has fallen for him for the summer (haha maybe forever, we will see if I ever get him back!) He is in a 2.5 gal so I am nervous about his water changes if I keep him in my care all summer.

Next week I leave for a week long trip and am nervous. Diablo is in a 5 gal, Sam the 10 gal. I can have someone swing buy to feed them. Does anyone have any other advice I should give a fish sitter?
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hmm. Are you planning on having a fish sitter change the water? If not, probably the best thing you can do is to feed them a few big meals right before you leave and then let them fast a week. If someone feeds them every day but doesn't change the water, the ammonia will build up, especially in a 5g. Fish can go for two weeks without eating so a big fast won't hurt your bettas. They might be grumpy but they won't starve.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #3 
newarkhiphop

lol same thing with me, am leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks, going to be gone for 2 weeks, am doing a full water change the day i leave, leaving simple instructions on feeding and water changes.

Water change is probaly the biggest issue, feeding the fish is simple. I would say if you can show the person your going to leave how you change there water at least once before you leave
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was gone for 10 days and had someone feed my fish 3 times while I was gone but no water changes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #5 
Neil D

For a 7 day trip, ask if someone can come and feed him once during the week. Two 3 day fasts, not bad, just grumpy
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote