Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #21 
callmeconfused

Okay, Please excuse the enthusiasm...but YIPPPPPPEEEEEE!

Abigail has NO more Pineconing.

I was using 3x the amount of fungus clear recommended, but I figured if she was supposedly too far to fix anyway, I'd try. (Kept reading that once they pinecone, you're screwed.)

I got her 2.5 yesterday, and her filter and heater came in today, I used the filter pads from the tank of one of my healthy girls to get the bio filter started for her. SHe is H-A-P-P-Y to be out of her jail...cough...QT tank.

Oh, and I removed the snails from the 25gallon and I'm treating those girlies. I figure this way, if it turns out to be fungus in the tank, I'm not leaving the problem and treating the symptoms.

And...I promise I'm almost done...I picked up General Cure.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #22 
DarkMoon17

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear she is doing better! Make sure you finish the entire course of treatment so you kill all the bacteria. Once a fish has had dropsy once, they are much more prone to it so make sure you keep a close eye on her and keep her water super clean.

I don't think you are dealing with a fungus (funguses don't cause dropsy). The reason Fungus Clear worked is because it also kills bacteria. I've heard it is even effective at treating the fast moving version of columnaris...
Are you going to treat the 25 with General Cure? That would be a good plan.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #23 
callmeconfused

It's been a while, so I thought I would update. My sorority did not work out. After a few months of cycling from everything's great, to torn fins, to sick girlies, I decided to do the best thing I could for my girlies and broke it down. They were all down graded to 2.5 gallons while I figured out what to do. I lost poor abigail. The lid on her tank was shifted and I didn't see it till it was too late. She tried for a great escape. I rehomed Alice, CC and Fetti. Eleanore got stuck to the intake to my new filter while I was at work one day. My niece now has Lavender and Angel, who have been renamed Lilly and Rose. The only girl I have left is Abba, who lives in a 10 gallon with a lone harlequin rasbora "Jose" (the lone survivor of past trials: Jose 1-11) and my 3 remaining briggs who are nearing the end of their rein.

I still love the majesty of sorority tanks, but I do not think I will ever venture to try one again. For those who do, Good luck. I think I will stick with spoiling mine with a lot of space and a buddy.

On a side note, Abba loves her Jose. Once a month, she fills with eggs, and follows him around. On the months where she releases them instead of reabsorbs them, she kinda herds him over to the eggs until the snails clean them up...I think she's confused ;P
Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #24 
Myates

I'm sorry :(

I have to agree, love sororities and I would have multiple if I could get away with it.. but the stress that comes with it, and the risk sometimes is not worth it. Wish you luck in whatever choices you make.

Are you breeding Abba and Jose? Kind of confused as it seems you are housing them together?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #25 
callmeconfused

Lol, Jose is a harlequin rasbora think someone forgot to tell Abba that! I put him in there because he looked lonely (I don't want to get more, because I've tried buying them from several different stores around here and they all got sick within a few days<--never would have happened with my old LFS) She's seemed a lot happier having him in there with her.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #26 
Myates

ROFL how cute!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote