Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 
gkFins

white fungus...?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one other male-divided

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? one pellet twice a day and bloodworms every other day for dessert (my betta is tiny)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 6.8
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? none
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?none
When did you start noticing the symptoms?none
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have put both fish in their cups while I do an 80% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? about half a year

okay, so I was sucking up the protein film from the top of my tank when I saw some white stuff on my ornament. my little brother has the same ornament on his side of the tank, but it's not showing any signs of fungus growth. right now my sister is helping me with a water change. we are cleaning all the ornaments and marimo balls with hot tap water. will someone please tell me what caused this, what I need to do to make sure my betta doesn't get sick from it, and if I'm treating this correctly. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
gkFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

I dont know what the fungus is, but the Marimo balls are live plants and the hot tap water will kill them!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

We need a pic...but if its on items in the tank thats usually not problematic for the fish....it may be some type of algae, decay/decomp food/waste/mulm/protein based...etc.....

I don't know how big the pellets are-and unless they are really big...... you may need to feed the Bettas more than 2 pellets a day and decrease the amount of freeze dried food to 1-2 times a week as a treat along with the staple diet

I agree...hot water could kill the plant...cool water should be fine...was the mold/fungus on the plant too......
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #4 
JKfish

She feeds them frozen bloodworms, not freeze dried, and the pellets are regular sized, but when presoaked, both boys have issues keeping down two pellets. Her bettas are no joke a little bigger than half the size of my boys.

The marimo balls had pieces of fungus on them too, and she didn't rinse them in hot water for more than a few seconds.

Name:  first.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  24.6 KB
Name:  first2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  17.7 KB

I'm not sure how well you can see it, but it was like a goopy and semi-clear glob with some fuzz on top. As far as I could tell, it was not mulm nor was it caused by decaying food. It was mainly on the decoration itself and had spread a bit to surrounding surfaces. GkFins bought that decoration one week ago and had rinsed it well before adding.

Last edited by JKfish; 05-22-2011 at 04:43 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

...good that you took it out and scrubbed it well-odd shaped items like that can be a challenge to vacuum/clean around while in the tank....looks organic to me.....could be a combo of proteins still on it along with the natural shedding of slim coat or if the conditioner has aloe in it.....it is drawn/gathers on/to the textured item and build up...its alive and will spread and grow but usually harmless-and needs manual removal.....sounds like you have it under control.......
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #6 
gkFins

thank you oldfishlady for the advice, and thank you JKfish for explaining to a fuller extent and posting those pictures for me. :)
gkFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #7 
callmeconfused

I've had that before to, I just rinsed/scrubbed it off. Never had any problems with my fishies.

BTW, love the decor. took me a minute to see that it's a campfire with a pan of eggs! ROFL
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #8 
sjones

ugh, looks horrible.

Is your tank cycled? Because your readings show no nitrate I am assuming its not. If so a ten gallon with two bettas needs much more than a 20% water change weekly. I'd say it would need a 100% wc weekly and a partial in between. Pardon me if this is not the case and it is cycled. Infrequent water changes causes the white fungus to grow-could be your problem (Believe me I know from recent fungus nightmare, even though I had low ammonia-arg! ) Just checking. Eradicating this stuff has become an great task for me. I noticed it on a plant bulb and then found it on my betta's tail. I tore down the tank (twice) bleached it (with great care) and have had to throw all my plants away.

Last edited by sjones; 05-22-2011 at 09:52 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #9 
JKfish

Sjones, we're in the middle of a fish in cycle~ she's got four live aponogeton bulbs in there growing like weeds.... so we might have to cut back on the water changes in order to let the ammonia actually register.

We had ended up removing all the fungus; most of it was in that picture, but when we went to take it out, a lot of it fell off and was floating in the water. It took a little while to find all the little pieces, and afterwards we scrubbed down all the ornaments in hot water and let it dry in the sun, so I think that'll do it.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
ugh, looks horrible.

Is your tank cycled? Because your readings show no nitrate I am assuming its not. If so a ten gallon with two bettas needs much more than a 20% water change weekly. I'd say it would need a 100% wc weekly and a partial in between. Pardon me if this is not the case and it is cycled. Infrequent water changes causes the white fungus to grow-could be your problem (Believe me I know from recent fungus nightmare, even though I had low ammonia-arg! ) Just checking. Eradicating this stuff has become an great task for me. I noticed it on a plant bulb and then found it on my betta's tail. I tore down the tank (twice) bleached it (with great care) and have had to throw all my plants away.
I would not ever recommend a 100% water change on any cycled or cycling tank.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote