Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 
Genesis

Possible Finrot?

Hello~
I just bought a new betta fish today.

The one I picked out has me slightly concerned, though. I am not sure if he has fin rot, or if it's just his coloring. Or if he has anything wrong, for that matter. I managed to get him to stay still long enough for me to get a picture.

He is dark red, with what looks like hints of mint green when the light hits him correctly. His fins are what is concerning me. His fins fade from a reddish-orange to nearly see-through, and end in a blackish-blue (that shines kind of a mint green in the light as well, I discovered).

Is this finrot, or is it possibly just his coloring?

This is him. His name is Genesis. All of the mint green spots only show up when the light hits him a certain way (including the part that's close to his rear on his tail). Otherwise, he looks solid red. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 
Genesis

I honestly cannot answer any of the questions in the sticky because we literally just got him less than 6 hours ago. Pet shops are currently not open (and it's rather late right now), so he is still in the tank he came in, with a few stalks of bamboo that haven't been properly put in yet. I can however say that I believe the tank is 2 gallons.

He flares and everything if he sees a mirror, and he's spread his fins fully a few times. The ends don't look like they're shredded or anything to me. But I'm newish with betta (the last time we had one was only 5 years ago) and have no idea if they can even be colored this way.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I'm not sure if that's rot or his natural colour. If you are really concerned about that being fin rot, you can give him frequent water changes. The best treatment for fin rot is daily watcher changes. I'm sure someone with a better eye can advise you further.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #4 
Genesis

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be changing his water tomorrow, I think. I plan to move him into a different tank (more like a vase that our last betta came in), because the bowl doesn't feel comfortable for me. I'm afraid he may jump out, or one of the cats will dig down in there after him.

Unfortunately, it's now looking like I won't have enough to buy him a heater, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I thought I had more money than I actually do. (For those wondering-- I didn't buy everything at once because Genesis here was found at a flea market. We went straight home, had to go right back out for something, and it was late by the time we were home again.)
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #5 
bettafish15

To be sure, do 100% daily water changes and if it clears up after awhile, you'll know :D You should be doing that many water changes in that size tank anyways. What size is the vase you'll be moving him to?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #6 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
To be sure, do 100% daily water changes and if it clears up after awhile, you'll know :D You should be doing that many water changes in that size tank anyways. What size is the vase you'll be moving him to?
I'm not positive, but I'd wager a guess that it's about twice the size of his current bowl, so maybe 4 gallons, if I'm lucky. Probably closer to 3 or 2.5. Not bigger by much, but I figure it's better than his little bowl, and will give him more space to move around.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 
bettafish15

Oh okay. To measure, when you fill it up, used rinsed-out gallon milk jugs to see how many it takes to fill. :) It sounds like a fine home.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 
Genesis

Well, it turns out that Genesis does indeed have finrot. I noticed today that they were deteriorating.

Unfortunately, since my parents are being very unsupportive (he's still in a very, very small tank, and I've yet to get him what he needs, or even epsom salt, because they don't want me "wasting" money), I can't give him an epsom treatment.

I just changed his water though, and plan to do it everyday until it either clears up, we get epsom salt, or he dies. =/
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #9 
Genesis

Ahh, I forgot to ask.
Is there any specific way I should be cleaning his bowl and gravel? I was unsure if there was something aside from just changing the water I should do, so I only took them all out and ran them under some warm water, then let them cool.