Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #1 
Bettawolf19

Unhappy Concerned

*He does come up to eat and swims around some but normally he just lays on the gravel

Monday I got a new crowntail named Blackbird from Petsmart. I also bought hima 3 gal large Kritter Keeper to live in. He has a hydor mini heater(2-5gal) and a therometer thats reads 80. When I got him i put him in the Kritter keepers(after adjusting him of course) and he seemed just fine but I didn't have enough gravel to cover the bottom properly. So yesturday i went out and bought new white gravel from walmart as well as a water wisteria plant from Petsmart. I took him out and put him in his cup and cleaned the gravel with hot water. Putting the water,gravel and new plants in (as well as the heater thermometer and bubble maker) I let the temperature from the tank raise up to around 75 before adding him in. I did adjust him for a good 2 hours or so by adding the new water in his cup ever so often. I'm wondering if the gravel may have shocked him by changing the ph maybe? I turned off the bubble maker to see if that was the problem but no change. Right now he's hiding behind his terra cotta pot and not doing anything just sitting on the gravel. Help please?

Housing
What size is your tank? Large Kritter Keeper 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? I do but I turned it off
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I fed him pellets when i first got him and last night I fed him frozen brine shrimp while waiting for the water to heat up.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday so far

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I did a 80% water change last night and plan on a 50% tomorrow
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100% per week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: between 0 and .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: between 0 and 5ppm
pH: 8.2
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins stay clumped and he breathes hard
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very Lethergic stays at the bottom of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him Monday
How old is your fish (approximately)? Judging by his size probably around 6+ months or mostly adult size

Here's his home:

This is what he's doing:

Last edited by Bettawolf19; 05-20-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Do you know the pH of your tap water?

I personally don't like walmart's gravel b/c I think it is way too cheap and doesn't hold up to cleaning well. I've even seen the "paint" scrub off of it before. It is possible that rinsing it in hot water is making it release things into the water... I don't know about that though. He might just need more time to settle in.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #3 
cjayBetta

I have walmart gravel in both of my 5g tanks and I have never had a problem with it.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #4 
cjayBetta

Also to add... My HM Windu sleeps at the bottom all the time... hes been doing this since I got him months ago.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #5 
Punki

This reminds me of my fishy, i upgraded to his current tank 2 months ago that has a airstone. I rinsed the gravel forever and adjusted him properly, he was fine when i went to bed and i woke up to him clamped, water temp was normal but i didnt have a testing kit. I quickly removed him and put him in a 1 gallon bowl with fresh water where he barely moved for about two hours, i covered him up so he could relax and after about 2 hours he started perking back up again. I turned on the tank light and the water was cloudy so i did a full clean up again rinsing everything and kept him out of it, set it up, turned everything on and the next day, slightly cloudy again. After about a week the cloudyness cleared, i changed 75% of the water and gave it another try and he was fine and has been since. I think either the gravel was messing things up and needed more time to settle or the airstone + gravel caused something to happen, either ways i know ill never put a fish in a filtered or aerated tank again before letting it run a week or so. Maybe hes just stressed but to be safe id put him in a smaller container and keep him warm until he perks back up.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #6 
Bettawolf19

The ph is 8 by the way Darkmoon17. I use the regular well water instead of the sciphoned water because it goes through the water softener to keep the salt content down. I mena I do have ph down but I don't want to mess with the ph seeing all my other bettas are used to the high ph's

He ended up perking up later that night so I think it was maybe the shock of the gravel. Sorry my computer wouldn't let me on to send an update. He's doing better now though :) thanks for your help everyone :)
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Glad to hear he is doing better. It doesn't sounds like the gravel caused a pH shock so he might have just needed time to get used to the bright white flooring :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #8 
Bettawolf19

Ya probably. He went from the dark blue/black gypsy gravel to bright white. He's happily swimming around now :) begging for food of course. He wasn't to happy with me earlier. We had a tornado warning so I had all my bettas in their cup in a empty ten gal for an hour or so, The 10 gal didn't have any water in it or anything I just had them in there just in case one of the cup may have tipped over at least there would be water in the tank not the floor. Probably not the best thing to but it seemed better then having them in their tanks where they could be knocked over and the like. Luckily no tornado came through so they were all returned to their tanks soon after. Lol all happy as squirrels now.