Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 
luluo

D'Argo torn fins

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

So I don't know what happened between Sunday night and this morning. Sunday night I noticed one tiny tear in D'Argo's fin. I removed the betta log thinking that maybe something on that snagged him. I also turned down the filter a little, though he has never had a problem with it before. Yesterday there was no change and the tear actually looked smaller.

This morning he has several splits in his fins and they are curling on the ends. I removed the pennywort from his tank because he was spending a lot of time in there and I thought maybe it was the culprit. But can a soft live plant damage fins?

Last week I replaced his java fern with another one and moved it to the other side of the tank. I took out the cave because I saw him swim thorugh a tiny hole in the cave and he looked to almost get stuck for a second. I added a sword and a flourish gravel tab. Could the flourish fert be the issue?

I ordered some Vita Chem which will be here today. Hoping that will help. I also have some IAL on the way.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes (omega-1 and Angels Plus) and frozen
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: medium-hard
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, fins torn, ends curled
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Jittery, darting up and down, sitting on bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday evening
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe a little less than a year.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 
newbie32

Are the ends of the fins black at all? That's a sign of fin rot. Also, some bettas will nip at their own fins. There are plenty of experts on this site, rest assured that someone will find out what's wrong!! In the meantime, can you post a picture of the fins to help the experts?
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #3 
SillyCone

Get us a picture of him if you can, that will also help a lot.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #4 
luluo

I don't see any black on his fins at all. I know that it looks like there is some on the photos, but that is my harsh flash. You can see in my avatar what his dorsal fin looked like before. The webbing at the end of his fins is blue/gray but also looks kind of black in the pic.

I bought PimaFix and MelaFix at petco but haven't used it yet. I have some antibiotic flakes and the Vita-Chem should be here today. What should I use?

Also, I bought a 2.5 gallon tank today in case it gets too hard for him to get to the surface in the 10g. He is spending a lot of time on the bottom and just now finally started sitting in the 3-way pvc pipe I positioned at the top of the tank.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #5 
luluo

I have two types of antibiotic flakes. The first has kanamycin and the second has oxytetracycline hydrochloride. Any opinions as to which one would be better?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 
bettafish15

I don't think you need to be using any medications! It could very well be tailbiting, which you can keep from getting infected by clean water, you dont need to jump to use meds :P Melafix is said to harm a bettas labryinth organ, so definitely don't use the pimafix or melafix.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #7 
SillyCone

Oh em gee, he's SO gorgeous, no wonder why you are so worried about him. :V
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I don't think you need to be using any medications! It could very well be tailbiting, which you can keep from getting infected by clean water, you dont need to jump to use meds :P Melafix is said to harm a bettas labryinth organ, so definitely don't use the pimafix or melafix.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Once again, never listen to a pet store employee. :(
Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
luluo

So I just saw that D'Argo was seemingly stuck under the big marimo moss ball. I quickly moved it and he shot to the surface for a breath. I don't know if he was trying to burrow under it and got stuck or if he wasn't really stuck. He's given me like three heart attacks today with his weird vertical floating and now the moss ball incident. What in the world is going on with my little guy?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #10 
Neil D

Move him to a smaller container. Maybe he doesnt like the space? Maybe its the fish equivalent of the teenage years? haha lol
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote