Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #1 
ectangelo

Question Calamari is having issues...

So...Yesterday i got my first betta from PetCo (yeah, i know...), although he is very pretty. He's red with little white/mint accents on his scales. You can't see them in pictures though. But anyway, my problem is that he is hiding behind my filter, but I'll give you my whole story so you experts can properly diagnose the problem. I have my guesses though... I brought him home from the pet store, and started acclimating him to the tank. I used those little bathroom cups, one cup out of his container, one cup from my tank into his, with a five min wait between each. 8 times. Then, i put him in. As i was replacing the water I had taken out, I realized that i hadn't put any water conditioner in!!!!! So I quick put that in, and then came to the realization that i had also forgotten to buy food!!!!! Urgh. By now I was P.O'd that I couldn't be responsible, and then noticed that he kept on going behind the filter. I figured it was just him freaking out from the new tank, so I left him. The next day he was still doing it, so I tried to think of the possible reasons. He could be sick, although he really didn't have any other symptoms. He could still be freaking out from the chlorine fiasco, or mabye because the tank is uncycled (please don't yell at me for that. I'm going to change the water every day.). But i think it's because I have a filter, and he's hiding from the current. The water level is about as high as it will go, but I can still see him struggling with it. I already know about the pantyhose and plastic bottle solutions, but I was wondering if there was another solution. Am I diagnosing it wrong? Please help.

BTW, I have a 5 gallon Eclipse hex with stock filter.

Last edited by ectangelo; 05-17-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: forgot to say something
ectangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #2 
gmd1800

Sounds like he's just stressed from the move. It's a big day for him if you think about it - he gets bought, put in a car and probably has a slightly bumpy ride home, and then he's in a completely new environment.

He should be coming out of his shell soon. Just leave him be for now. Don't worry if he doesn't eat - he might still be stressed out.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #3 
ectangelo

OK, thx! I was kinda worried But I have another question. If I put some silk plants in front of the filter, would it lessen the flow, because I plan on putting some there later on.

Edit: He is swimming around some now, too, although he does still return to the corner, and i got FOOD!

Last edited by ectangelo; 05-17-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #4 
gmd1800

You can baffle the filter outtake by putting a sponge and rubber band. There's instructions on how to baffle a filter in the Aquariums forum. If you're concerned he'll get stuck to the intake, you can put pantyhose over the intake to lessen the suction.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 
ectangelo

Thank you! I'll try that.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 
ectangelo

I put some foam on with a rubber band, because I didn't have a sponge on hand. At first, the water wouldn't go through it, but I cut a slit in it and aligned that with the outtake, and now it works perfectly. Calamari can now explore...
Anyway, I have another question. How often should I feed him? Once or twice a day? And I've heard that fasting them for a day helps regulate their digestive system, so should I do that once a week, every two weeks, or not at all? In case it matters, I have Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes, and plan on picking up some pellets soon.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 
swhitt

I feed my fish twice a day, one pellet in the morning and one at night. Fasting once a week is good.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Do you have any caves or lots of plants in the tank? He may hide behind the filter because it's the only place to hide.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
Echo

One of these days I'll need to post a link to Elvis doing his happy dance.. he used to hide behind his plants any time I was around. I never really saw him eat, except that his pellets would disappear eventually. I mean, what would you think if you saw this enormous creature standing above your tank and staring at you?
Now even stand-offish King Louie does a 'Feeed Meeee' wiggle when I'm nearby, even when he's not hungry greedy guts..
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #10 
ectangelo

@sakura8 No, I don't yet. I'm going to buy some silk plants when I get up the money. I have to buy a heater first. My old heater stopped working a few days before i bought the betta, and I didn't notice. The light keeps it warm at the top anyway. Plus, he's fine now! For the last 2 days or so he's been swimming around the whole time I've seen him, and I don't think he's hidden again. He was just stressed. Also, something funny. Since I put the foam in front of the outtake, there's no current throughout the tank, but there's a current straight down directly under the sponge. I saw Calamari slowly creeping up to it. He knew it was there, he just didn't know where. And then he flew downwards. He looked dazed for a moment, but swam back up and did it again! ...