Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #1 
Echo

Question do bettas sleep?

I'm curious.. do bettas sleep at all? ..and if so, is it at the surface or does it matter?
This morning, I saw Elvis parked at the bottom of the tank, motionless. Being the doting momma, I panicked and gave the tank a tap. Well, this got quite a swift reaction: Elvis not only jolted up and went flying, he shot out of the water and cracked himself on the lid hard enough to lift it a bit (it's one of those cheap affairs that's just a plastic 'plate' resting on top). Afterwards he sort of hung around the bottom, occasionally curling up on himself, and not even a freshly thawed bloodworm would tempt him back to the surface for long. I feel sooooo bad I'm hoping all he has is a bit of a headache..
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #2 
SilverMagic

I've been wondering about this myself. Do bettas sleep? I know they rest. Your fish not responding to food doesn't seem normal though. When was his last water change?
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #3 
Echo

last night he was his regular zippy self, and i did finally get him to eat a few pellets (his favorite treat, believe it or not). his last full water change was last week, and i'm planning a partial later this week. he's in a 2.5 galon, and i use a turkey baster to clean out his 'offerings' as often as i see them, so his water is near spotless.
i think he just got the proverbial horn blasted behind him as he was napping and then bonked his head on the top bunk
Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #4 
Betta lover 1234

Yes they sleep. I was wondering that to but when my betta looked like he died i went to petsmart and they told me that it was only sleeping
Betta lover 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #5 
Betta lover 1234

how do i make a thread?

i am knew here and i dont know how to make thread.
Betta lover 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #6 
laughing

If he is in a 2.5 you are definitely not changing your water enough. I have mine in that much and have to do 50-75% with vacuuming the gravel every other day. If I don't, my female is fine, but male gets stress stripes and loses all his color. Just because the water looks clear doesn't mean it isn't packed full of ammonia. You don't need murky, smelly, green water for something bad to be going on.

And yes, they do sleep. My boy prefers to rest in his anacharis, my female likes to bury herself in the substrate. :)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #7 
Echo

every other day? i can see if i were keeping him in a 16oz cup, but not in a 2.5 galon tank. Elvis is a piebald, he actually loses color when i do water changes (hates them), and he hides for a day or two until he decides to forgive me. i do test all my tanks (four) twice a week (doting momma) and all remain clean. if i even think for a second that i'm imagining a teensy spike in ammonia, it's a 75-100% water change. that may be excessive to some, but my boys are healthy and active.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #8 
Burd

I'm almost 100% sure they sleep and I can say this pretty confidently.

I've got two tanks, one with boys and the other with girls. I had a rough week last week and got next to no sleep. First a stomach flu and now I'm just getting over bronchitis. Lol, lucky me, right?

Anyway... I'd walk around at night to get a drink or go to the bathroom and because I couldn't sleep, once in a while I'd go check out my fishies and watch them for a little bit. I was initially concerned since it looked like all of my females were motionless either on the bottom or in a plant or cave. I turned on the light on their tank and poof! All active and happy to see me, expecting food of course.

My boys do the same thing. If I sneak in and don't let them see me, they stay quiet at night and then when I turn on a light they swim up and go crrraaazy.

Fishies sleep. :>
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #9 
SilverMagic

If you are testing the water using a liquid API test kit every day to every other day then you know how often the water needs to be changed. Overdoing water changes is unnecessary stress on your fish. I think you are doing just fine.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #10 
Echo

Elvis found a new favorite hiding place.. i discovered these tiny sherry glasses in storage a few months ago and thought they'd look cute as decorations in my tanks (2 in each). lately i've noticed Elvis nesting in one. i was worried for a bit that he'd not know the way out, but he shows me how clever he is by swimming in and out as if to say "look at what i found!"
Attached Images