Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #21 
Echo

how many females can you keep in a tank? i have a female african dwarf frog i've had to separate from my male betta (he was getting a tad agressive), and she's become withdrawn (they're social creatures).. i'm debating on weather to get another ADF or to get a pair of female bettas for company..
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #22 
SillyCone

Well, I'd say the rule is 2.5G per betta... But idk, I don't have a sonority.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #23 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
how many females can you keep in a tank? i have a female african dwarf frog i've had to separate from my male betta (he was getting a tad agressive), and she's become withdrawn (they're social creatures).. i'm debating on weather to get another ADF or to get a pair of female bettas for company..
don't get a pair, I believe the minimum amount of females suggested for a sorority is generally 4 (which you'd need at least a 10 gallon for), but the more you get the more the aggression is spread out and usually means less fighting. with just 2 they're likely to kill each other
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #24 
Echo

crud. ok, extra frog it is
has anyone tried one of those BiOrbs?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #25 
carzz

Yeah they sleep. My girl, Rosie, She sleeps on top of her plant. I keep it so it's about 3/4s of an inch down so she just sleeps there, and reaches up to get air. :) It's a home made betta bed! :)
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Can I go off topic just a teense? I think my betta has insomnia. Seriously, when I first got him he did sleep, but lately I haven't noticed him sleeping at all. So I thought he must be sleeping when I'm sleeping but I wake up and he's built a bubble nest that wasn't there before. I turn off his light when I go to bed but there's some ambient light from some mini Japanese paper lantern lights hung around my room that I don't turn off (too lazy, long story, please don't yell at me for wasting energy +_+). Could this light actually be keeping him up? I got him a floating log to hide in but, although he swims in and out of it, I haven't noticed him sleeping in it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #27 
SillyCone

lmao, maybe you dropped some coffee in his tank and you didn't notice.. jookes xD!

Mine was like that as well, I could never see him sleeping, but only because that bastard used to hide from me when sleeping, kinda hard to get him, now that he is in his treatment tank I can see his sleeping when bored, specially yesterday because I fast him so he slept the most he could to eat today >_>

Now he's all back to normal being over energetic trying to find any food on the gravel, he does that like half of the day.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Haha, wouldn't be coffee, would have been tea or soda. :) His tank's right by my desk so I can see him a lot and he's always just moseying around, weaving around his plants, going in and out of his betta log bed. Maybe he's got Restless Fin Syndrome?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #29 
SillyCone

maybe, but idk my tank is in my room with me but not as close as yours probably is, but my betta always goes psycho when I'm near his tank, when he was in his proper 10G, I cant even look at my snails or he will punch them or keep swimming near me to get my attention, maybe if you move his tank slightly farer from you ;V
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #30 
Echo

they are jealous little critters, aren't they? i ended up getting a female veil as a companion for my ADF, and she even steals her frog pellets. she doesn't eat them (they're too big for her dainty mouth), she just moves them to a different part of the tank before coming over to me and preening. i named her Roxie (she's a gunmetal grey with silvery fins), but i'm about to nickname her Miss Piggy for her pretentiousness.
now i have a Diva tank