Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #1 
kumi

fishless cycling question

I have a 2.5 gallon planted tank going through a fishless cycle--I put a piece of shrimp in it. I seeded the tank with gravel from an existing tank, but that gravel won't be staying in the tank. It's a different color and type, so I have it wrapped up in the cheese cloth. How long do I need to leave it in for? I would like to remove it and rearrange the plants some . It's taking up a lot of floor space at the moment!!

Thank you!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #2 
Burd

I'll say it first... :P

2.5 gallon tanks are not big enough to be cycled properly. 5 gallons and up is the minimum for a cycled tank. Sorry. :/
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I'll say it first... :P

2.5 gallon tanks are not big enough to be cycled properly. 5 gallons and up is the minimum for a cycled tank. Sorry. :/
Several members here have said that they successfully cycled a 2.5 gallon tank--probably depends on what you have in it. I'm using Eco Complete, which, as it says, "provides four times the surface area of ordinary gravel!" I also have a lot of plants in there which also gives more surface are for the good bacteria to cling to. At any rate, if it doesn't work, so be it, but supposing that it will work, how long should I keep the seed gravel in there?

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #4 
Sakura8

All tanks with filters can be cycled, it's just a matter of how long it takes and what method is best to use for what tank. Cycling is not something we aquarists do, it's something that happens naturally. What we refer to as "cycling" is really just us aquarists trying to speed up a natural process called the nitrogen cycle. So, don't worry, your 2.5g will cycle. I think when people say 2.5g tanks can't cycle, they mean they don't cycle well with fish in them because you have to change the water so frequently. But a fishless cycle should work.

As for the gravel, I don't see why you couldn't quickly remove it, rearrange the plants, and replace it. If you want to remove the gravel completely, it might slow the cycle down a little but not significantly. The main thing is to continue using the shrimp or fish food to keep the ammonia level up. Once the nitrites start appearing, you've reached the second stage of cycling.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's not that a 2.5 gallon can't be cycled, I've heard that it's hard to keep the cycle stable.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote