Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #1 
SillyCone

Cloudy Eyes (~X.x)~

Housing
What size is your tank? 10G - Changed to 1G
What temperature is your tank? 25-27c stable - Unstable on new aquarium but around 20-25c
Does your tank have a filter? Yes on the old - not on the new.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes - No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 Apple Snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Prima Mini Granules / King British Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Mini Granules every morning / Bloodworms at least once in the afternoon as a snack

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 10G - 50% once a week. 1G - 100% Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I'm not testing right now but I'm using test strips every now and then, the parameters are fine.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Cloudy Eyes, slightly some grey spots.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's stressed with the water changes and discounting on his food by biting them harder, other than that no.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yeah, he had some goo stuff around him and a slight chance of fin-rot in which both were cured.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Over an year old I presume.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

I treated him with Myxazin normal dosage for his cloudy eyes for around 3 days, no change, I increased slightly the dosage for another 2 days, no changes, I got afraid for the snails so I put him on another tank and made a 100% water change on my 10G.

His new "tank" is an oval 1G aquarium, I treated him for almost 3 days with Aqualibrium, a physiological salt for the aquarium~, not much of a difference, I'd say there was a slightly recovery on his eyes but I don't know for sure.

Today I started the Epsom Salt treatment, 2tsp/gallon, now let's see if he gets better. :V

Sorry for the pictures, is hard to get a good photo on an oval aquarium. :P

SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #2 
SillyCone

Around 20 hours since I started the epsom salt treatment, already showing recovering signs.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Great pics......

Cloudy eyes can be due to poor water quality and/or high nitrate...but with your tank maintenance of 50% weekly on 10gal...I don't think that is the cause unless you have high nitrate.....what is the nitrate reading on the 10gal.....next thought is injury and the Epsom salt treatment in QT with the water changes should take care of that-I would continue that treatment you started for at least 5 days even if he looks better and give the 10gal a good cleaning before you put him back in the tank after the treatment.....

keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #4 
SillyCone

I made a very good clean with boiling water on his 10G, the nitrate was around huh.. Nothing higher than 25mg/l the day I cleaned the tank, I hadn't clean it due to the medicine I used, but the cloudy eyes appeared before it so I really don't know what could have caused it, my tap water really socks and shoes but I didn't let the levels go wildly high, just on the hardness, I don't keep the records I'm afraid, for 2 reasons, I'm using test strips and I'm lazy to write them down fast before the colour changes again. :P

But if we have to blame something it has to be the tap water, I just uploaded the 2009's water report in my area, might be a bit old but that's what the gov has to offer me atm:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...Y2MxMDViYmI3Yg

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...UzMmNjYg&pli=1
Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 
SillyCone

From yesterday (48 hours treatment)

Today: (72 hours)

Last edited by SillyCone; 05-26-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: omg I can't shrink the last photo for some reason
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #6 
vaygirl

How long has the 10 gallon been set up? It might still be cycling if it's less then 6 weeks old. I get mini-cycles in Wraith's tank a lot and ammonia spikes and he gets those cloudy spots. I just increase his water changes to every 3 days and that clears it up.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #7 
SillyCone

It's still cycling alright, but the levels were fine, I made sure of that though. :V

And nice hint, I might do that when I put him back on his tank then... But I gotta say, my snails are loving SO MUCH the betta free-zone hahahahahaha.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #8 
vaygirl

It's possible they spiked and then had cleared up when you tested but the cloudiness was already building. I've always been able to clear that up with water changes, it happens every couple of months maybe? I bet the snails are lovin' life. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #9 
SillyCone

Not really because the tank will be soon a month old hahahaha! XD!

But I can easily increase the water changes on the aquarium without a problem, maybe next month everything will be stable. ;3