Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 
moniibettalover

Tailbiting ,sharped edged deco or something else??

Woke up . Oh damnnn! My beautifull VT looks like a crown tail! O.o . I assume he did it himself by biting his tail because its looks really , how to put it, as if someone cut the ends of his fins with scissors! Im trying to get a proper picture but failing cos he wont stop moving.
moniibettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #2 
Silverfang

feathery looking ends are a usual sign of tail biting.
Either way clean water is his best bet for healing. Depending on the size of his tank he might need to be floated in a small container so he can have daily water changes. Your main concern at this point is fin rot developing, so keep up with the clean water. A high protein diet will also help with fin regrowth.

IF you suspect the tears are from a plant, the easiest way to find out if it's too sharp for your bettas is with some panty hose. IF they rip, so will his fins. Silk or live are safer.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #3 
moniibettalover

Is there any chance that this might be caused by fit rot? I've read this : "Fin and tail rot is a bacterial disease that any fish can get. Its symptoms are seen starting with the fins, which may look like they are tearing or shredding. A dark edge around the ends of their fins is also a sign" . Yet he doesn't have a dark edge around the end of his fins . And the tank in 7 gallons

Last edited by moniibettalover; 05-26-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

If the tips of his fins are black or bloody red, then it is probably fin rot. If they look like normal fins, just torn, then it is either tail biting or he ripped it on something.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #5 
iheartmybettas

If it happened overnight it is most likely tail biting unless there is something sharp/rough in the tank. Just keep the water really clean. I have a chronic tailbiter and I just make sure his water is clean. If I tried to treat him with aquarium salt he would be in it all the time which is not good. So clean water. Although my guys caudal and dorsal are actually growing back out. Yay! I'm just waiting for the day to come when I come home from work and he has mangled them again.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

I don't know, I've had fin rot pop up overnight. That's what happened to Nino. I woke up and he was missing chunks out of his dorsal/caudal and it was definitely fin rot (black tips, got worse in the following days, had to treat at a very high conc. salt to cure it). I'm guessing it was an aggressive bacterial fin rot. As a result, I don't think timing is necessarily a diagnostic tool.
Quote:
Yet he doesn't have a dark edge around the end of his fins .
If there is no black edge then it isn't fin rot. He is either a fin biter or got it caught on something. Do you have plastic plants in the tank? Or any decor? If so, remove them and replace them with live or silk plants.
Treat him with just clean water like iheartmybettas suggested. You can also add Stess Coat to help his fins grow back. If you don't keep his water really clean then you might see a secondary infection that will lead to true fin rot, which would be bad.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #7 
moniibettalover

No plastic plants just a live one so im guessing he's a tail biter. Should i float him in a container in my tank so i can do daily water changes like silverfang suggested?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

That would be easiest. And you can premix the salt in a gallon jug to make it even easier.