Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #1 
KristineNote

Question Newbie with questions

Hello. I purchases Sparky from LPS a few weeks ago. It's been years since I owned a fish, and this is my first betta. I already bought a tank, a 1.1 gal with a filter and light. I quickly got attached and am now have a 9 gal tank (still setting up). I've made mistakes, such as not buying a thermometer and heater and buying freeze dried blood worms. I now have pellets as well as freeze-dried bloodworms, so no worries. My current tank (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036S4Z5O)

But now I have a much larger tank (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753110). I haven't moved Sparky yet because I haven't decorated the tank yet.

How often do I need to change the water? And 50 percent okay or should I do less? Like 25% because of the filter? My 1gal tank I change 50 percent 3 times a week and it has a filter and is very clean. But I'm not sure on a 9 gal how often I'll need to change it.

I need a net but at my local store they only have these not-really small nets that I think could damage my betta's fins. So I'm thinking of buying one if I go to Petco or just purchasing online. Any brands or anything specific I should look for when buying a net? (I live in the middle of nowhere, so petco/petsmart are like 2 hours away from me)

I currently have a heater (7.5 watts for a 2.5gal-5gal) and it's this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLPFE) will that work for my new tank? If not, what watt should I purchase? And any recommendations on brands?

I also bought some silk biorb plants from LPS and have ordered off amazon these two items: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027ITKBS and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027IZ6KW but they haven't arrived yet. Any opinions or cute anecdotes on these toys?

Amazon has this item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER and seeing as it has no product reviews, if anyone owns this can you tell me if it passes the nylon test?

Long post, so now to the final questions! I would like to put in some ghost shrimp before I put in the betta, as I read that's recommended. I'm planning on purchasing at least 5 of the largest ghost shrimp they have. Sound good? I read that prawns can be dangerous and sometimes get mistaken for ghost shrimp so buying the largest they have will cut down the chance they'll grow up to be large prawns? Or there's no way to prevent that chance?

Zebra snails lay eggs? Do loaches eat the eggs? If I ever purchase a bigger tank, then I might get some loaches and a snail for my betta but currently I'm not interested in that. Are Black Kuhli loaches (4 inches) the same as yo-yo / Pakistani loach (6 inches) when it comes to being betta-compatible tankmates?

Sparky is red, blue, purple-ish crowntail. I notice that two weeks since I bought him his tail is clear at the end now and he's quite a bit bigger than when I first bought him. Is he loosing color or is he growing and the color hasn't checked in yet? Or something else completely?

Thanks for reading the long post. It's thanks to this forum I've learned a lot about the PROPER care for a betta fish and hopefully I will no longer be a cruel owner!
KristineNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 
Burd

Hi there. Welcome to the forums and to betta keeping. :D

Your questions~
1. Getting bigger ghost shrimp won't make a bit of difference except that you'll be buying potentially older ghost shrimp that may die faster. If you're getting them from a LPS I'd hope they'd be knowledgeable enough to sell you a ghost shrimp, not a prawn. Mine keeps their ghosts separate in a tank of their own.

2. I don't keep snails or loaches, so i'll leave this to someone else.

3. If Sparky is acting normally, he's probably just growing. :) New growths come in clear or white-ish.

Good luck with your new boy!
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 
alidawn15

Ghosties are hit and miss, some bettas eat them and some don't. Try getting medium sized ones so they'll live longer but are less likely to get eaten.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

1. Remember, freeze dried one meal one time a week! I hope you now have a heater and thermometer. Your big tank will need a much stronger heater than the one in the 1 gallon.

2. This is a nice tank. I havent seen many people with one, but its certainly pretty. Just letting you know, that column with the air bubbles is not needed in a betta tank, since they breathe air. However, if this is an undergravel filter and not just an air stone, keep it on. There is a large difference between an airrator/air stone and an actual filter.

3. Just making sure that it has a FILTER, yes? Not just a bubbler? If so, and if youre sure, then with ONE fish in 9 gallons, filtered, yeah- you can get away with a 50-70% change once a week. If you want, you can cycle this sized tank with a filter, which will allow less frequent water changes when established. If curious, look up "fish-in cycling".
Try maybe two 30ish% changes a week or a 50-60% change with a 25% in there somewhere. Get a siphon/gravel vac to make sucking up poop easier ;)

4. Good nets are very, very fine, almost like panty hose. A good net is smooth, large enough for the fish, and of decent apparent quality. You dont *need a net, you can "cup" the betta by sneaking up on it instead.

5. It will not, no. That is a low wattage. I cant recommend any heaters at this time but I know many other members can. You'll need at least 25w for a ten gallon, most likely more.
If not many people post what to get here, try posting again in the Habitats section asking there for what people will recommend. Stay away from tetra brand heaters! ;)

6. Theyre nice. Some members will tell you how horrible the hammock is, how it had metal poking out and killed their fish blah blah, but over all they're a decent product. Keep an eye out for any metal that is exposed and discard or return it if there is. The log is cute, many members have and love them.

7. I know another member does own it, but they havent posted very recently, so I dont think theyre active anymore. Id say it is, they dont look bad. If they are, return it or cut off the sharp parts of the plants or remove them and add plants that are soft with aquarium sealant.

8. Im not sure on that. Cherry shrimp are another option if youre nervous. Shrimp like a cycled tank, though, because they are sensitive, so be careful. If you need more help, creating a thread in compatibility might garner more answers.

9. Im not sure, but again, asking in compatibility will give better answers. The one thing about tank mates in this tank is that it is so tall and does not have much space on the bottom, which most non-top dwellers like bettas, really need.

10. If you show us a photo, we can tell you. Without one, there are many possible answers. Using the "macro/flower/text" setting gets the best pictures.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #5 
alidawn15

I have a heater for 2-10 gallons and in four months and varied outdoor temps I've had no problem with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #6 
KristineNote

Thank you for the valuable feedback! I have been using the 7.5 watt heater in my 1.1 gallon tank and have a floating thermometer with a suction cup. And I did feed him dried worms for 6 days straight before reading that it's a snack, not a daily nutrition! But he doesn't seem bloated, so I'm hoping I didn't cause any perminant harm. :(

I don't have a camera that's off good quality but I do have a video camera so I uploaded the short 5 second vid of Sparky's tail to this hosting site. Here's the image: http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ent=Sparky.mp4

It's a bit blurry but the ends of his tail are clear and they weren't when I first got him 2 weeks ago, I hope the vid shows the coloring well.
KristineNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #7 
alidawn15

Sorry meant to say my heater is from walmart. They only sell one brand that I know of.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

^ Yeah, they're usually no good. I know a few people have been lucky with them but as a whole, I do NOT suggest the Tetra 2-10 gallon heaters.

Tetra makes good everything BUT heaters, lol!

And OP, is it that white color on its fins? If its the white, then its fine.

Its probably not fin rot, but keep an eye on it :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I think Sparky's tail is just growing. Perhaps he experienced some fin loss at the pet shop before you bought him? You can tell fin rot because there are red streaks running up the fins (from the edge of the fin up toward the body) and there are often little "pinholes" that appear in the middle of an otherwise whole fin. My betta has whitish clear edges all around his fins but he's healthy otherwise.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote