Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #11 
BETTACHKALOVE

I hope your betta will survive. But i was thinking. External parasites can be treated with aquarium salt in 86* with water changes ... so is internal parasites probably can be treated with aquarium salt too?
Just in case if medications will not help.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #12 
JeanLuc2

That's my next try after I have tried the way of giving the medicine without accidently overdosing if the medicines don't help.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #13 
DarkMoon17

JeanLuc2- Good luck with him, keep us updated!

BETTACHKALOVE-You have to keep in mind that fresh water fish do not drink water like salt water fish do, so most medications for internal parasites have to be given in the form of food and other very specific medications. I am not sure how water based medications work on internal parasites but I assume the fish absorbs the medication. However, A.salt does not affect fish the same way, it kills external parasites by basically pulling all the water out of them based on the properties of diffusion (more salt in the water, less in the parasite, salt goes into parasite, water leaves parasite...). Since the fish will try to keep salt from reaching high conc. inside itself, it does not work well on internal parasites.

You can use Epsom Salt to help the digestive track remove internal parasites but I'm not sure if it can be used exclusively. Personally, I use medicated pellets to treat internal parasites but sometimes, especially when you do not know which parasite it is, you have to try several medications (with different active ingredients) until you find one that works against whatever parasite is attacking your fish...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #14 
JeanLuc2

So here is my question when it comes to meds.

Given how badly the last attempt with this medicine went I am wondering if the pellets in this link http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753421 would have been a better option than the stuff I got. I only got the stuff I got because the lady at PetSmart recommended it and I was already confused about the various types of medicine out there.

Should I get that stuff when I get home from NYC or just try the one I already have?? Please advise.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #15 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

JeanLuc2,

Jungle Anti-Parasite pellets do work on internal parasites.

I have a CT-F who was very bloated. I first fasted her and used Epsom Salts, in case she was constipated. When that failed to cure her bloat, and signs of internal parasites were present, I used the Jungle Anti-Parasite pellets as directed.

After the course of treatment (which took a month - to kill all generations of parasites within the fish), the CT-F is healthy and normal.

Note: these pellets are large. Put them in a zip log bag (as needed) and bash them with a hammer, to make them betta-sized. Your fish may not chow down on them immediately... but over the course of three days in QT container, he'll eat them. Offer pellets twice a day. And change the water in the QT container once a day, btw. :)

Good luck!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #16 
DarkMoon17

I agree with Here Fishy, those pellets work pretty well. I've used them to heal my Goldfish's dropsy. They are a bit big and your boy might not like their taste but if you break them into pieces it should work. You can also soak them in garlic juice or frozen bloodworms to make them taste better.

Since you are stopping the Parasite treatment while away anyway, I would switch to something easier... Your neighbor should be able to continue the pellet treatment for you while you are away.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #17 
JeanLuc2

Ok, where do I get the Jungle Pellets stuff? Is it the stuff I linked in my last post? That sounds soooo much easier than the stuff I tried. I will be getting the pellets when I get back since I have to take off at 7:15 am CST tommorow morning for NYC and I'm not going anywhere but my bed tonight.

Thanks so much for all the good advice, and please keep it coming since JeanLuc; now nicknamed as "Lukey" (how would I spell this correctly w/in the name of the ST Captain?) by my neighbor who came up with it when I told her what his name is; is my first ever fish so I am kind-of in over my head but I am learning mostly because of all your good advice.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

Those Jungle pellets in the link are the right ones. You can get them at Petsmart. You'll still need to keep his water clean to get rid of any parasites that come off/out. I'm not sure how the medicine actually works... lol love his name, absolutely love Capt. Picard :D

You're doing a really good job, keep it up :)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #19 
BETTACHKALOVE

Thank you DarkMoon for explanation. It make sense. I never had this problem yet so now at least i know which medication can help. JeanLuc2 have a good trip i hope ur betta will recovere. Please keep us update.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #20 
JeanLuc2

Hi everyone,

Carnegie Hall was incredible!! Can't believe that I actually played there on Monday.

In anycase...I finally have my little Jean-Luc home today. He got a very good report from his petsitter. Apparently he was extremely fiesty the whole time I was gone and now there are doubts that he is actually sick. He looks a million times better at the moment.

I have no idea what was going on but I am going to wait a day or two to go out and buy the medicated food.

=D

Tags
internal, parasite