Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #11 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzz View Post
Any salt? It helps a lot. 2 TBS per gal.

I'm dissolving the salt in a separate container right now, forgot to add that part.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #12 
copperarabian

He seems to be improving some. He isn't resting on the bottom like he's dead anymore, and is moving a little more then before.

He breathing seems to be a little better now, still a little shallow but at least I can tell his gills are moving now

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-24-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #13 
turtle10

DO NOT do two TBS per gallon. TBS is tablespoons, which is a ton. Do ONE teaspoon per gallon.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #14 
Ajones108

Just a small side note:

Normally when I get a new betta and it is listless, lethargic and generally under the weather, I give a drop or two of methylene blue in their cup/bowl, not in the tank because it can harm your biological filter. On the bottle of methylene blue it says that it aids in general disease prevention and with a listless, lethargic fish it could be fighting off multiple ailments.

Just an aside. :) It can be used in conjunction with salt, and if you're dosing a small container I would use no more than a drop from a medicine syringe.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #15 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
DO NOT do two TBS per gallon. TBS is tablespoons, which is a ton. Do ONE teaspoon per gallon.
Don't worry, I didn't put that much in because it seemed like way to much to me too.

@Ajones108- I'll look to see if they have it at this fish specialty store I used to go to that has everything.

Also my Betta is still alive, is doing a little better then my last update of him. I just changed his water, and he was harder to catch this time(Possibly higher energy? or just flight response....), and I was trying to be careful to not stress him anymore then necessary.

He uses his pectorals a little more, and whenever I check on him he's laying in a new spot, rather then just sitting around the same spot.

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-24-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #16 
Punki

Aw glad he made it through the night, sounds like he will slowely get better. Pics once hes feeling up to it! :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #17 
Littlebittyfish

I agree..I wouldn't do 2 TBS...Maybe 1 tsp...you can slowly work him up to 2 tsp..but..I usually don't use that much salt unless the fish has obvious white cottony/fuzzy growth...On this guy he just looks to be a little anemic and shocked...

*edit*

I am glad to hear he is doing better!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #18 
Creat

The key I found with very very ill fish is whatever you do do it slowly. I would only add a little a salt at a time and keep changing the water as much as you can I usually do it for sick fish once a day. And I would hold off meds till he is feeling a little better only cause it can sometime kill the fish because medication does stress the fishes system a little. Best of luck so happy he is feeling better.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #19 
copperarabian

after doing some grocery shopping and getting snake food I peaked inside his container and his pectoral fins are almost always moving :D and he's swimming around a little. I added some fresh water so it's a little deeper now, and he seems happier. Still not eating though, but he did eyeball some food before leaving it alone (Rather then be oblivious to the food). Hopefully he will start eating and get to a better weight....

It's hard to get photos of him because the container is opaque, but I got a few that are decent, as well as one that shows how skinny he is and the container I have him in.

The light doesn't seem to bother him, but I'm still leaving it off because I don't want my cichlid to see the bettas shadow and scare it

Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #20 
Punki

Aw hes so skinny, just a head and a stringy body, so glad to hear hes improving, almost out of the woods! Keep us updated :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote