Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Otos in a 10 gallon....

I do very frequent water changes (2 25% a week) And I also have plants and like to create the perfect habitat for them. In other words, I create a magnet for algae. I have more than 10 types in my tank, growing on my filter, substrate (forming a disguisting green brown sludgy coating on my aquasoil that forms BUBBLES ) Driftwood, plants (Ones with about 25 super long delicate leaves in which you can't see the algae out of the water but it'll survive a scrubbing) and tank walls. This algae will form over everything, including spots impossible to clean (And After washing plants for an hour there'll still be algae). It's really hard for me to keep up with this

So, I was thinking, maybe get... 3 otos??? My cories aren't doing too well The source where I got them isn't too good, but my hope that they'd be healthy obviously isn't working. Even my constant water changes WITH live plants kills them (So I'm certain it's not water quality) As well as a wide variety of foods (shrimp pellets, algae wafers, frozen blood worms, mysies shrimp) So I get this feeling that soon Neon will be alone again. WELL, do you think 10 gallons with 2 25% water changes a week and a Betta with 3 otos (Some sources will say 10 gals minimum but around here it is usually said around 20) And an airstone ^.^ (Hey, they need oxygen rich tanks and I don't want to bring out high flow filter) I could make that work? Or, if the cories do okay, 5 pygmies, 3 otos, and a Betta? If not I'd be willing to give the Cori's to a friend. BUT still...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I do very frequent water changes (2 25% a week) And I also have plants and like to create the perfect habitat for them. In other words, I create a magnet for algae. I have more than 10 types in my tank, growing on my filter, substrate (forming a disguisting green brown sludgy coating on my aquasoil that forms BUBBLES ) Driftwood, plants (Ones with about 25 super long delicate leaves in which you can't see the algae out of the water but it'll survive a scrubbing) and tank walls. This algae will form over everything, including spots impossible to clean (And After washing plants for an hour there'll still be algae). It's really hard for me to keep up with this

So, I was thinking, maybe get... 3 otos??? My cories aren't doing too well The source where I got them isn't too good, but my hope that they'd be healthy obviously isn't working. Even my constant water changes WITH live plants kills them (So I'm certain it's not water quality) As well as a wide variety of foods (shrimp pellets, algae wafers, frozen blood worms, mysies shrimp) So I get this feeling that soon Neon will be alone again. WELL, do you think 10 gallons with 2 25% water changes a week and a Betta with 3 otos (Some sources will say 10 gals minimum but around here it is usually said around 20) And an airstone ^.^ (Hey, they need oxygen rich tanks and I don't want to bring out high flow filter) I could make that work? Or, if the cories do okay, 5 pygmies, 3 otos, and a Betta? If not I'd be willing to give the Cori's to a friend. BUT still...
I think you might be pushing your bioload if all the cories make it. But i am not much of an expert on community tanks.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Are you sure the bubbly algae on the aquasoil isn't cyanobacteria? That could be why your little cories aren't doing so well...Is your tank cycled? I wish I had better advise..But I hear cyano can be a real pain.....
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

It does sound like it might be cyanobacteria. I would do some research on that and hold off until you confirm and treat or dismiss the idea.

I'd also not put in otos if the cories make it. That would be pushing your bioload. 3 otos and a betta alone is probably fine though. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #5 
baylee767

Sorry, been busy lately. Anyways, thank you so much for suggesting this! I searched cyanobacteria and what do you know, that's what I have. I asked about it once but I guess the pics I take don't look too good Lol. Anyways, my tank always smells (previously blamed on conditioner) and some photos looked just like it. My levels might be good, but I think I'll change 2 gallons a day in that tank just in case to see if that works (definatly cycled after nearly 4 months with fish and partial only water changes) If not, then I'll try a blackout (plants moved to different tank) And if THAT doesn't work I'll have to get some antibiotic type tank treatments. And, if even one cory makes it, I'll just get a few more cories and make it a Betta-cory tank again. If not, then I'll get 3 otos. Again, THANK YOU! For diagnosing this before I tried adding different types of fish or something and seeing them all die off.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote