Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #1 
DeadMemories92

Fish with digestive issues.

He's not sick so I didn't feel the need to fill one of those forms out. He just doesn't digest food very well. I feel them (him and my other two fish) two pellets in the early morning and two in the evening but he bloats so easily and I hate it. I'm thinking about giving him one in the morning and one in the evening. Would this be beneficial to him? The other fish are having no issues at all digesting food but he has had issues from the beginning.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

What food are you giving him?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 
DeadMemories92

I've been feeding him Wardley betta pellets. Two in the morning, two at night (like 12+ hours apart sometimes) and then dried bloodworms once a week!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

I think you should try a different food... Though Wardley betta pellets have 40% protein and their first ingredient is Fish meal, many of the other ingredients are grain based and more likely to cause bloating. It also looks like the protein isn't from the natural ingredients... it is added whole.
Quote:
Fish meal, whole grain wheat, shrimp meal, soybean flour, brewers dried yeast, wheat germ meal, wheat gluten, fish protein concentrate, fish oil, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, crayfish extract in soybean oil, iron oxide, vitamin premix containing (wheat middlings, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, pyridoxine HCI, thiamine mononitrate, d-biotin), choline chloride, marigold petal extract, canthaxanthin, ethoxyquin (as a preservative).
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 40%, crude fat (min.) 4%, crude fiber (max.) 3%, moisture (max.) 9%, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) (min.) 900 mg/kg.
Give a different food a try and offer frozen blood worms instead of freeze dried blood worms. Personally, I love Atison's products but others might be able to give you some other suggestions.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #5 
DeadMemories92

Okay. Will do. For now (until I can get to a petstore/Walmart) I'm going to reduce his food to one pellet in the morning and one in the evening until I can get there.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Sounds like a plan, good luck and keep us posted :)
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

What other symptoms does he have with the bloat and how long is his tummy swollen after he eats, water temp and how much/often are the water changes and what is his body shape and tail type......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #8 
DeadMemories92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What other symptoms does he have with the bloat and how long is his tummy swollen after he eats, water temp and how much/often are the water changes and what is his body shape and tail type......
None really. He acts normal, swims around normal but he's noticably bloated after each meal. It sometimes will stay bloated for hours, sometimes a couple of days. I've actually not fed him for a day or so to see if it goes down and it usually does. The water is around 76-78 degrees. This is a photo of him:

Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Hmm, he actually doesn't look bloated to me. He might just have a full tummy. Does he have trouble swimming after meals? I would still change foods but I don't think he's actually bloated, which is good news.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #10 
DeadMemories92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Hmm, he actually doesn't look bloated to me. He might just have a full tummy. Does he have trouble swimming after meals? I would still change foods but I don't think he's actually bloated, which is good news.
I don't think he was then, but the thing is that it lasts sometimes for hours and sometimes over 48 hours. :\