Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #1 
laughing

Should i be worried?

Ok. Julep is being super weird. A week or so back I skipped a water change and he lost nearly all his color even his eyes turned blue. Immediately I changed his water and he was fine. He did it again last night, water change night, so I didn't worry because I knew he was getting his water changed anyways. But I just came home and here he is color lost, blue (instead of black) eyes, and stress stripes. Huh? He's also decided not to bubblenest anymore....

He is in a 2.5 gallon minibow. His filter barely runs because it really disturbs him. He gets a good amount of light and has anacharis in with him that is healthy and shooting sprouts. Water changes are frequent with over 50% changed every other day.

With water changes I place a clear betta cup from petco in the water slowly and allow him to swim in on his own. I place him down and vacuum the gravel with the water removal. I fill it back up with dechlorinated and pH balanced water then acclimate him for about 30 mins.

I have no idea perameters, I will post soon!

He has no appearance of illness.... he's just acting super stressed. Nothing around hi, or in his tank has changed.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #2 
laughing

78* water.

No ammonia or nitrites. Just above 0 nitrates. No chlorine. Ph is 7.2. About 150ppm hardness. 180ppm alkalinity.

Therefore, it is all normal!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #3 
SillyCone

can you show us a photo of him? Specially with the non-coloured time.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #4 
laughing

Unfortunately I can't. It is too dark currently and the flash males him run and doesn't show him well. :/

I can say he has dulled his color completely with faint stress stripes.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #5 
laughing

It is past midnight here. Therefore I used a teaspoon of AQ salt and dissolved it in a cup full of his tank water with some slightly warmer water. Over about 5 mins I slowly poured it into his filter. Then I let the filter run a few minutes and unplugged it.

His tank dropped a couple degrees so I turned the fan off and headed off to bed.... hopefully some replies in the morning.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #6 
SillyCone

Ok, have a good night laughing, I do also hope you get an expert to help you out. =]
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #7 
laughing

More info, in case someone finds this;

Housing
What size is your tank?
2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Usually 78*-ish
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but doesn't run that often.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, it stays the same temperature, though.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Bio-Gold Betta pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and live fruit flies.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day. He fasts a meal or two here and there as well as a fasting day randomly.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? De-chlorinater drops & AquaTech pH I believe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

All are listed above.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His eyes become blue, he loses his bottom half color to a dull brownish, sometimes gets stress stripes, but the metallic is staying.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He isn't bubblenesting nearly as much. Sometimes is less active, but not usually.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? I have been using a teaspoon of AQ salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably 4-6 months.

I do not think this is an ammonia problem. Full water changes have not helped. I do find it amazingly strange THIS ONLY HAPPENS AT NIGHT. Weird, huh?

Hopefully someone replies...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Are you feeding him the new Hikari pellets or the old ones? If the first ingredient is wheat flour then you need to get him a different food. Their new recipe is low in protein and real fish products and is no longer good for bettas. It can even cause bloating... Freeze dried blood worms should only be fed as a treat once per week. Switch to frozen foods as they are much healthier.

Did you test the water before or after the water change?
It could be temperature swings because the tank is not heated. The ambient temperature should drop at night time and that might be what is making his colors pale.
If possible, get him a heater and see if that helps. You can also turn of the light to help him relax.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 05-25-2011 at 09:55 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #9 
laughing

No, it gets WARMER at night. I watch it all hours of the day, it barely gets to 76*.

I think I have figured it out. I haven't put his light on in awhile to help calm him. Last night I put it on, came out at 2 am, he had full color and a bubblenest going. I decided to leave iton just as an experiment... I woke up he is now at his most vibrant coloring with a hefty nest!

I don't know if this is crazy, but I think his selection (him seeing another betta) entices him into a dark, rich color for territorial/mating and when he sees himself he thinks a male is coming into his territory which stimulates him to" attack" re reflection and work on a bubblenest.

I will see about the pellets. The blood worms ARE a treat. And those are the water parameters before the water change. And after as well . I change their water every other day so it stays the same.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #10 
DarkMoon17

Well that's interesting! So did he only lose color after you've turned off the lights at night? I see you have a girl betta, would it be possible for you to house them within sight of one another? He might become stressed because he gets lonely without his reflection?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote