Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #11 
DarkMoon17

In my experience ammonia burn is usually black so this isn't ammonia burn but he is likely suffering from poor water conditions... You need to increase water changes and treat him for the open wound left by the fungus. Is the QT heated? If not, place it in the tank to keep it warm. Perform daily 100% water changes.

I would use Aquarium Salt, not Epsom salt to treat this... Epsom is for bloating, not treating funguses or open wounds. Treat him with Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal.

In the main tank you should be doing weekly 50% water changes at the very least. Preferably more. You should not need to add ammonia drops. Just keep the water clean and there won't be any ammonia.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #12 
AussieChris

Hi Dark just noticed your post today, sorry i didnt reply.

I treated him with the epsom salts for 7 days, his wound seems to of healed alot but there is another problem now.

He seems to be swimming funny, no damage to his fins but what happens is he spends alot of time at the bottom of the tank underneath some wood and when he does surface he swims vertical (head at the top tail at the bottom) or should say when he is sitting still floating on the surface he is vertical.

I have put him back in the main tank he still seems to be eating, i have checked the ammonia levels and they seem to be betweeen either zero or maybe 0.25

Only thing i can think of is that he is reaching that sad age of around 2 years old and its old age.

Maybe its something simple to fix i dont know
AussieChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #13 
DarkMoon17

It's very good to hear that that healed up.

It sounds like a bit of lethargy. It could be age related... but 2 isn't "that" old. Think of him as middle-aged.
What temperature are you keeping him at?
What is your water change schedule now?
What are you feeding him?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 AM   #14 
AussieChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
It's very good to hear that that healed up.

It sounds like a bit of lethargy. It could be age related... but 2 isn't "that" old. Think of him as middle-aged.
What temperature are you keeping him at?
What is your water change schedule now?
What are you feeding him?
Hi again Dark,

Temperature is around 23-24oC
Water change will now be 40% weekly
Checked the ammonia again today and its its pretty much zero
Also checked the pH which is around 7.0-7.2
I feed him betta pellets and a small amount of tropical flakes

I should also say that if he sits at the bottom of the tank his front half seems to want to lift up, he also used to just casually swim to the surface to get some oxygen but he now darts up to the surface like a bullet.

Last edited by AussieChris; 06-05-2011 at 03:19 AM.
AussieChris is offline   Reply With Quote