Betta Fish Forum banner

First time bare bottom tank

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DarkMoon17 
#1 ·
So my next spawn attempt will be a crowntail pair and i was planning on doing it in a bare bottom tank. This isnt my first spawn but its a little different from what i normally do. I tend to do more of a heavy planted more natural method with out a filter so there are micro organisms the fry feed off of until they can eat micro worms ( thats another question how long until you move a micro worm culture to a fresh batch of yeast). I have a ten gallon tank and a large mass of java moss I was planning on adding but for anyone who use a bare bottom method is there any trick to make it work the best? Also do you cycle the water in the tank or add water from a cycled tank? and do I have to buy a sponge filter?

#2 ·
I use the bare-bottom method. I don't use a filter or any kind of sponge filter either- I do do daily water changes. And I don't cycle the water either- I just use fresh water from the tap with dechlor.
I have a few plants, but thats only for the fry to sit on and eat the micros from.
I can't answer your yeast question, I just started a culture of micro worms myself. :/

#4 ·
Once the fry are free-swimming, I usually do 50-60% changes each day to the tank.

#7 ·
I believe you are supposed to "remake" your microworm culture every 2 weeks. Just mix up a new container of your yeast/worm food and add a few scoops of worms from your old culture. Make sure you have a few cultures going at the same time in case one crashes :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.