Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 
KitKat422

Smile Just another compatibility question :)

So I'm somewhat new here and I would love some friendly advice!

I have a 10 gal tank with two female Bettas in it- they're thriving! They're super cute and active and they always stick together- but the tank is kind of lonely with just the two of them in there...

Can you give me some suggestions for what kind of other fish (and how many) I could add to the tank?

I was looking at the Platys because I wanted fish that swam in the middle of the tank too :) And I was also looking at some ghost shrimp... but I've been lurking around here and there are some pretty nasty horror stories about them which makes me kind of wary..

Oh just one more thing... I can never get the PH level down! It's always pretty dang high... I bought a solution that supposably lowers the PH, but it only lasts for less than a day and then the PH goes right back up... My Bettas don't seem to have a problem with it- but I tried guppies in there a while ago and they all died with in two days... and I'm thinking that has something to do with it...

Thanks in advance for your help!
KitKat422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #2 
BabyFishie202

You shouldn't have 2 female bettas together because one will bully the other.
You should get 3 more bettas or one could be bullied to death.
And you need lots of hiding places and plants.
BabyFishie202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #3 
bettafish15

PH swings can be harmful to your fish, so dont mess with it, your PH is likely fine. It can even be 8.4 or something and your fish will be fine, your just stressing them by messing with it :P Also, its recommended to have at least 3 girls in a female betta sorority, and you can have up to 6 in a 10g, so you could simply get more females, although if you got more females you wouldnt be able to add anything else to the tank.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #4 
KitKat422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFishie202 View Post
You shouldn't have 2 female bettas together because one will bully the other.
You should get 3 more bettas or one could be bullied to death.
And you need lots of hiding places and plants.
I've had the fish since the beginning of this school year and they've been completely fine together- the bigger one did bully the smaller one when they were in the smaller bowl- but since they've been in the 10 gal tank they've been completely nice to each other, and they're always together. It's super cute
Thank you for the suggestions though! I do have lots of plants and places to hide- they rarely use them (or at least when I'm around)

Last edited by KitKat422; 05-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #5 
KitKat422

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
PH swings can be harmful to your fish, so dont mess with it, your PH is likely fine. It can even be 8.4 or something and your fish will be fine, your just stressing them by messing with it :P Also, its recommended to have at least 3 girls in a female betta sorority, and you can have up to 6 in a 10g, so you could simply get more females, although if you got more females you wouldnt be able to add anything else to the tank.
Yeah.. I figured so I stopped messing with it a couple months ago- when I realized I just couldn't win..

Oh that's cool.. I may just end up getting more Betta's :)

Anyone have any advice about the platys and ghost shrimp?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 
bettafish15

I think 3-4 Platys and the two girls should be fine. No more than 4. Ghost shrimp are pretty risky.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #7 
KitKat422

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I think 3-4 Platys and the two girls should be fine. No more than 4. Ghost shrimp are pretty risky.
Thank you!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat422 View Post
I've had the fish since the beginning of this school year and they've been completely fine together- the bigger one did bully the smaller one when they were in the smaller bowl- but since they've been in the 10 gal tank they've been completely nice to each other, and they're always together. It's super cute
Thank you for the suggestions though! I do have lots of plants and places to hide- they rarely use them (or at least when I'm around)
They may get along now but sororities fall apart after years of harmony, I would definitely have at least 5-6 females total. It is just very risky to have only two.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 
alidawn15

Mystery Snails are fun to watch. Mine are a lot less boring than I expected, especially if you're looking for more color.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #10 
ollief9

4 Pygmy Corydoras is my suggestion.
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Pygmy_Cory
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote